Beardie Lights

reptinut

Hi everyone,
I am getting a pair of bearded dragons in a few weeks and I was wondering what kind of UVB lighting works best for them, as I've heard much conflicting information on the matter. Is it really necessary to have a tube that covers one end of the beardie home to the other? Instead of buying an expensive bulb and fixture designed for reptiles would it be possible to buy an ordinary fluorescent tube? Brand names yall recommend?

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
i use exo-terra mercury vapor bulbs for my beardies, uromastyx, blue tongues, savannah monitor, schneiders skink, and all of our tortoises. depending on the distance between the light and the basking spot, you can use a 125w or a 160w.

nunny

i prefer the uv tube ,lengh of the viv,has to be proper one for reptiles though,and changed every 6 mth.for some and 1 year for exo terra.cost about 30 english pounds,

fl_orchidslave

A lot depends on your type of setup. I tried out some different length tubes, and saw that they were more active and used more of the 40gal breeder tank with a longer fixture. With a dome style lamp, you have to check your distances so as not to cause harm to their eyes, but they're a good light when used properly. I use one of these on a different species and setup. Dragons need a good basking spot for both UVB and heat. If all you have is a shorter tube fixture, use it, but make plans to get what your animal needs to keep it healthy and happy :)

Visit our friends