bedding for feeder crickets?

Logan _theLeo

I wanted to know what bedding you guys use for feeder crickets? I have a bag of extra corn cob bedding I was using for my parrot. Would that be safe? Previously I was using paper towl but I'd like to try something else.

LoveReps

I don't see why corn cob bedding would be an issue. They might eat it but it's not going to harm them or your reptile. You can use dry coco coir, reptibark, coconut husk, organic potting soil with no fertilizers or pesticides, sand, toilet paper tubes, paper egg cartons, shredded paper. Just be sure that your substrates are dry unless you want thousands of small crickets jumping around in a few weeks! I raise my own so I like to keep wet coco fiber in their enclosure for egg laying. Also, be sure your crickets don't have any substrate on them right before feeding.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I assume you're talking about what to keep crickets on that you're going to feed to your geckos as opposed to breeding crickets (though it may not matter). I keep my crickets on a thin layer of powdered gut load so they can eat and be nutritious. The important thing is to have egg crate for them to stand on. I keep a number of jar lids of water crystals for hydration. I go through 3000 crickets every 2 weeks, so this works well for me.

Aliza

Visit our friends