Begginer Gecko???

mrcsk8ter44445

Baseball=Life
I'm wondering for the future reference if theres any other gecko besides a leo,crested, or fat tail that is easy to care for and preferably eats mealies

Scott&Nikki

Some have said Armadillo Lizards match that description (for the most part), but others claim they do not like being handled. I believe Blue-toungued skinks are about there, as well. Wait for more experienced people, though.

G

gerryl

m8

although Gecko's are similar, Day Gecko's have different needs (like Heat!)...best to read a little...best luck:main_yes:

Haroldo

mrcsk8ter44445 said:
I'm wondering for the future reference if theres any other gecko besides a leo,crested, or fat tail that is easy to care for and preferably eats mealies

I don't think there exists such a gecko. Many might disagree, but I feel mealworms are one of the worst feeders to serve as a staple for most geckos. I'd say that none of the geckos [or lizards in general] mentioned in this thread would fare well longterm on such a diet. Why are you restricting the species to only eating mealworms? Also, what experience level do you have with keeping geckos (i.e. what keeping experience do you have and with what species?). I'd consider this all far more important when considering what species might be appropriate for someone. That's just my opinion though...

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
gerryl said:
although Gecko's are similar, Day Gecko's have different needs (like Heat!)...best to read a little...best luck:main_yes:

DUH.... all geckos have different needs, different temps and different cage set ups so Im not sure what you are implying. I do read, A LOT. Fat tails needs are different than leopard geckos as are cresteds and lots of other geckos have different heat and set ups.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
Haroldo said:
I don't think there exists such a gecko. Many might disagree, but I feel mealworms are one of the worst feeders to serve as a staple for most geckos. I'd say that none of the geckos [or lizards in general] mentioned in this thread would fare well longterm on such a diet.

Ok so go tell all of the breeders out there that they have not and cannot feed a staple of mealies and sustain a collection of geckos long term on such a diet, especially those that have been doing this for YEARS

Any and all feeders are bad if not properly gutloaded, Id rather feed out a well gutloaded mealie or super worm than an empty cricket or a waxworm (crack for geckos).

P

plecoperson

Also, what experience level do you have with keeping geckos (i.e. what keeping experience do you have and with what species?). I'd consider this all far more important when considering what species might be appropriate for someone. That's just my opinion though...
Dragonfly, I think this is a perfectly reasonable question and I wouldn't take offense to it.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
plecoperson said:
Dragonfly, I think this is a perfectly reasonable question and I wouldn't take offense to it.
Nor would I as a long term keeper of many different species......

BUT when a person comes here to ask for opinions and help choosing a new pet the first thing you should NOT do is try to discredit them or their experience, we all start somewhere and sometimes somewhere is with no experience at all and thank the powers above for the people that ask FIRST for help choosing an animal instead if buying one on a whim then asking why it died.

If he is given choices he can look up care sheets and/or ask for more help, information etc and find the best choice for him instead of an impulse buy from fear of asking that could end up with a poor buying decison.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
mrcsk8ter44445 said:
right now i have 2 cresteds,2 leos,a fat tail, and 2 suagar gliders(just thoght id throw that in) so try and determine my experience level
It looks like you have a godd combo of some different geckos with different needs and gliders are cool!

Id try to look around at some care sheets for some of the ones mentioned and see if you think one suits your taste and if not ask for more ideas, there are lots of members here with lots of different experience with different reptiles that may be able to give you more ideas!

ReptileMan27

mrcsk8ter44445 said:
right now i have 2 cresteds,2 leos,a fat tail, and 2 suagar gliders(just thoght id throw that in) so try and determine my experience level
Well it depends on what you want, something you can handle or just look at?. For something you can handle, I dont really know any other geckos besides leos,AFTs,or cresteds that you can handle,maybe knob tail geckos?,just a guess,im not familar with them but they seem to be getting more popular. Their are other lizards besides geckos that are good with handling like bearded dragons or blue tounge skinks. As for just looking at, their are a number of geckos that fit that, tokays,flying geckos,white lined geckos(aka,skunk or palm geckos). Those are some geckos that I keep or have kept and they make great display geckos. I dont have the flying gecko anymore :(, but have tokays and the white lined geckos, both great display geckos. As far as feeding just mealies, I dont feed any of my geckos mealies besides for my leos, I have given the tokays superworms but thats it. Mealies make a fine staple for leos but I wouldnt reccomend them for all other gecko species.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
plecoperson said:

by the way anyone that would ask that question should have no problem giving an answer as well.

I actually would have probably said (if it were me), I have experience with A, B and C for this amount of time, and A may work for you and B may not and C is a bad idea.

Do you have any experience with any of those? I may be able to help you more if you can give me more info.

But oh well, trying to be helpful and noncondescending is a lost art to some.

Visit our friends