Benefits of using Tubs?

LizMarie

I've seen members say that glass tanks aren't that beneficial geckos because they can't hold heat very well and the reflection tends to freak the leos out, etc. Anyway I wanted to what are the benefits from using tubs in a rack style set up?

whkrazyk

Geck'd Out
from what i found it takes me a third of the time to clean, less expensive and compact, with the money it would take to buy a heat pad for a 10G tank, i can buy enough heat tape to heat a five foot section. Its easier to move my tubs around into breeding groups too since they are smaller and lighter, they hold heat better IMO too, and i can have twice as many geckos now.

C

corvettefan

The thing about a tank that I like though is it feels like you have a pet. Tubs make me feel like I have 'test subjects'.

Khrysty

The thing about a tank that I like though is it feels like you have a pet. Tubs make me feel like I have 'test subjects'.

That's what's preventing me from building a rack. I think I'm going to end up building display cases instead, with screen doors, so that I feel like these guys are my pets and not just "test subjects." Right now, with only five, I can afford to have the two tanks for the males and the big homemade viv for the females, but eventually I'm gonna get going on that display case..

LizMarie

See my problem is I want more leos but I don't have much space and those stackable tanks are expensive and I dunno how well I could do it myself. I have one 20gallon long and I swear Lana uses less than half of it on a daily basis, ugh. Plus it takes up a lot of room and isn't that easy to clean especially when I have to haul it into the tub to wash out. I've almost dropped that tank like 10times in the few months that I've have it and my cat seems to really enjoy sitting on top of it, ummm.

To make more room I thought I'd get a book case and order half tanks from glasscages.com but the shipping is expensive since they're made of glass making them heavy. So I remembered Heathers rack, http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=32045 . My main problem with racks was that most tubs are opaque and you could hardly see what was inside but obviously heather got around this by finding these clear tubs from the container store. I'm planning to buy the ones on the bottom that are 22-1/2" x 14-3/4" x 5-3/8" h that should be more than enough floor space for Lana to explore, have a heat gradient and be able to decorate plus its clear so I can see in it. I don't plan to build a rack or buy one since I just want like 1 or 3 more geckos :) but though I could either have someone build me a custom book case which should be fairly easy with cubby holes for the tub or I can just place them on my wall shelves because they aren't heavy.

C

corvettefan

That's what's preventing me from building a rack. I think I'm going to end up building display cases instead, with screen doors, so that I feel like these guys are my pets and not just "test subjects." Right now, with only five, I can afford to have the two tanks for the males and the big homemade viv for the females, but eventually I'm gonna get going on that display case..

My brother and I were going to build a viv, how did you do it?

C

corvettefan

So a box o' wood and some mesh? Sounds nice! I can do that...

Visit our friends