best substrate

E

Eric Walker

What is the best substrate or mix to use for u. sikorae.

looking for something that is not going to get into the mouth

MonteQ's

I use eco earth. Haven't had any problems with impaction. Leaf litter or bark chips work pretty well to cover the loose substrate. Just be sure the chips are large enough that they can't be ingested.

E

Eric Walker

I was worried about them even just getting the eco earth in the mouth because it is so
fine. I guess I never thought to cover it up with bark chips and leaf litter.

thanks

may I ask what type of cageing you use for sikorae.
my group of 2.7 has been doing very well for about a year in large, tall clear bins
with modified tops full screened

MonteQ's

Leaf litter works pretty well. You will have to change it every so often. Softer leaves work better for large areas. The crickets will hide in the stiff ones. The bark holds up really well. I've had fair success in limiting the lay area with bark chips too. They like to find exposed earth with cover for laying.

I don't keep sikorae at the moment. Partly because I've never been happy with the viv possibilities. Exos feel a little small, and I tend to tire of conversions. I hope to make a few vivs at 24x24x36t to add a few pairs next year. If you end up with any babies available...drop me a line ;)

E

Eric Walker

from 2 females last year I had 15 eggs. one female laid 2 eggs every time she laid.

only 4 hatched and all died within 2 1/2 months. 2 would not eat and 2 looked
so healthy it has me stumped. I know babies are notoriously hard to keep alive.

MonteQ's

Yeah, the first 1-3 months seems to be the "danger zone" from what I gather...some what from my own experience as well. My hatch rate has been anything but consistant as well. Some females' eggs do great, others, I just can't catch a break with. Same diet and everything...just how it goes I guess. I've had a few weak babies my self this year, and they really didn't give me a chance to get them going...

My biggest issues have been during the odd temperature swings between seasons. I've started keeping babies in larger more elaborate caging from the start. It really seems to even temp and humidity swings out a little. I've upped my calcium to vitamin ratio a bit for the fresh hatchlings, and it seems to be making a big difference so far.

I think most of us are still trying to work out the kinks with these guys. I hope this helps.

Reptilei555 you know that we are talking about substrate for Uroplatus sikorae, right? Because that would be terrible for any Uroplatus. I use paper towels, bark chips, eco earth, and bamboo leaves. But I believe a mixture of eco earth and bark chips covered with some bamboo leaves or other leaves works great.

Visit our friends