Birth defect or MBD?

[email protected]

Hello,

My Leo's eggs just hatched a few days ago and i found out that both hatchling's legs are a bit weird? It is like they could not walk on one of the limbs properly. Just wondering if MBD can hit a leo that just hatched?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It would be hard to tell anything without a picture. Check the leg carefully to make sure all the bones are there. There is a fairly common birth defect I've seen in some of my leopard geckos that involves missing bones. At the mildest, the gecko may be missing toes (this is not toes coming off because of retained shed. The gecko is actually born with a foot that has 2-3 toes instead of 5). At its most severe, the gecko has the bone that goes from the shoulder to the elbow and then has a foot directly attached to that.

If it looks as if the gecko has all the bones in its legs, it's possible for some geckos to be poor absorbers of calcium and/or vitamin D3, which means they essentially have MBD from birth and will probably not survive. I guess it's also possible that they have a defect in their hip joints. That's about all I can think of.

Aliza

[email protected]

I will post some photos when i am home. For now, one of the hatchlings is walking on its left wrist while the other one has weird hind legs. Gosh. I dust their mealies with Repashy Calcium Plus and leave a dish of the calcium 24/7 too.

Visit our friends