Box turtles

j&k lemmy

Where I just moved to allows excellent herping opportunities. Finding box turtles & fence/prairie lizard being the easiest to spot. Been collecting the box turtles keeping them a day or 2 then letting them go.
I would like to know how to keep one long term. All that I can find I assume would similar if not the same care requirement cuz they all live in the same place. I use to get them a lot when I was a child but never got them to eat. I won't them to eat.

lisa127

I can help you care for a box turtle. However, do not take one from the wild for a pet. If you want a pet box turtle, please buy captive bred. Wild box turtles often don't adjust well, which is probably why they haven't eaten for you in the past. Also, they do require fairly large enclosures and their care is much more involved than a leopard gecko.

Lavodnas

As far as I remember, they need a diet pretty similar to bearded dragons...a mix of veggies and bugs. As cool as some turtles are, I would personally never keep one of these as a pet and one of the main reasons is that I like to show my pets off. These turtles need to be in a tank where they pretty much can't see anything that's going on around them since they are really jumpy. A couple of other side notes...these guys usually live 50 plus years and tend to hibernate for at least 3 or more months in the winter.

lisa127

I have to disagree. Box turtles are not really jumpy. As babies they are very shy, yes. But my box turtle is the most outgoing and interactive animal in my reptile room. And as far as hibernating, it is not critical to hibernate them. Mine is overwintered indoors. Gentle night heat and 14 hours of UVB a day keeps her from hibernating. They are not the easiest to care for pets, but they are full of personality as juveniles/adults. And once they know you are the source of food, they become quite fearless!

Mine lives in a 3 foot by 3 foot wooden "box" that has wheels attached to the bottom for mobility. She's kept warm with a slightly damp substrate for burrowing. 5.0 UVB bulb. She eats nightcrawlers, pill bugs, etc. and also all kinds of fruits and veggies.

I also wanted to add, when you are keeping a wild boxie for a day or two and then releasing it is very important to release the turtle in the exact place you found him/her.

Last edited:

lisa127

This particular boxie I have had since she was 7months old. She was captive bred. My other boxie is living with a fellow "turtle person" that lives in my area, but that one I also raised from a tiny baby. I have noticed though, that the three toed box turtle seems to be the most outgoing of the boxies, with the most personality.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I deal with mainly aquatic turtles but these guys have mentioned everything I would have. Largest enclosure possible, clean water that they can easily walk out of, fresh veggies/fruits/flowers everyday. We had one at the store that an employee found. Her owner claimed her and told her us how she was in her 70's (you could kind of tell, she was haggard looking). Id be apt to fimd a CB or at very least a very young one.

Visit our friends