Breeding crested female with floppy tail

geckogarden

(I'm only approaching my second breeding season and finding a learning curve)
Six months ago I bought a female about a year old with floppy tail. The breeder brushed it off as a cosmetic issue, and what discussion I'd heard before was that it's best avoided but not endangering. I had hoped to breed her and only confirmed after specifically looking up how this relates to breeding females that it's discouraged to breed females with floppy tail syndrome as they can have difficulty passing the eggs.

I reached out to an exotic vet. He said he only rarely deals with breeding issues in crested geckos and finds them far more robust than others. He tentatively thought it would be reasonable to breed her once, but recommended reaching out to breeders with more experience.

I've added some pictures. Based on this, would people here advise against breeding her?

Edit: I reached out to her breeder again, who says that it should not affect her ability to lay eggs. They say there used to be talk of it causing hip issues until people got x-rays done of their geckos which confirmed it's only a directional change in their tails and does not affect their hips or spine. I'm reaching out to another breeder to confirm and get another opinion.

Another edit: The other breeder I talked to confirmed that they have bred two females with floppy tail with no issues passing eggs. I'm concluding that they should be safe to breed, and that floppy tail doesn't necessarily mean hip or spine defects. I hope this is helpful to anyone else who's had this question. The consensus I had first found online broadly discouraged breeding these females.

Attachments

• floppy5.jpeg
    floppy5.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 3
  • floppy4.jpeg
    floppy4.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 3
  • floppy3.jpeg
    floppy3.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 3
  • floppy2.jpeg
    floppy2.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 3
  • floppy1.jpeg
    floppy1.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I only had one season breeding crested geckos and the female I bred didn't have floppy tail syndrome. My gut feeling is that it should be OK as long as the gecko doesn't have an obvious spinal defect (and I don't see that in these pictures).

Aliza

geckogarden

I only had one season breeding crested geckos and the female I bred didn't have floppy tail syndrome. My gut feeling is that it should be OK as long as the gecko doesn't have an obvious spinal defect (and I don't see that in these pictures).

Aliza
Will keep an eye out for hip/spine defects in the future, I'm glad to know those issues don't necessarily accompany floppy tail.

Visit our friends