Breeding gargoyle geckos.

meow_meow0934

So I'm looking into a pair of gargoyle geckos that the seller says have never been bred.the female is 3 and 41g and the male is just 2 and 25g. Now he is on the small side for breeding. They are on a diet of crickets and rapshy so there isn't an issue in the diet contributing to size, he sounds just really small. Now if I were to get this pair what are the chances I could get they both to a healthy breeding weight? And what would be the best way to do so...? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417318693.385754.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would recommend having both geckos checked out by a reptile vet if and when you get them. If that's a picture of the male, there's something about the position he's in makes me wonder if he has MBD (though of course it could just be the way the picture was taken). If you get them you would have about 4-6 months to get them into shape before mid-breeding season. Are they being kept together now? If not, you could introduce the male to the female for a week or so and then see if she lays. Google "breeding gargoyle geckos" to see if there's more step by step info. The nice thing about gargoyle eggs is that they can be incubated at room temp, however, since I live in New England without AC, my room temp varies so much I use an incubator.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
He looks much better in the second picture. The only problems with breeding light males is that they get too interested in breeding to eat. See how he does over the next few months since you have time to get him to gain weight.

Aliza

Jetfire

Personally,I would just give him time to gain some size; gargoyle mating behavior can be fairly rough...I can count on my male's tail being eaten every year @ least once.

Visit our friends