Breeding Geckos - Genetics!

Geckomaster743

Do genetics really matter when your breeding??? Like het or Double het or any of that or does that help decode what your morph is. What im basicly asking is, do the Genetics that you use to Describe a Morph can effect the Egg or hatchling besides making there Patteren or color different?

Do genetics really matter when your breeding??? Like het or Double het or any of that or does that help decode what your morph is. What im basicly asking is, do the Genetics that you use to Describe a Morph can effect the Egg or hatchling besides making there Patteren or color different?
Genetics play a huge role in breeding any reptiles just about. It affects the colors what you may get and the over all price also becasue the better the genetics the better you will sell your leos. Also if you mix genetics you can get new morphs and may come out with a new one that no one has never seen thats why its so important.

Gopherhockey03

Well with Leopard geckos it doesn't seem so important. Many leopard geckos are bred back to parents or siblings with no effect on the health of the leopard gecko. As you know if humans did such a thing there are chances or mental retardation or other health complications. But in LG's the traits it carries don't effect it unless it's an Enigma.

Well with Leopard geckos it doesn't seem so important. Many leopard geckos are bred back to parents or siblings with no effect on the health of the leopard gecko. As you know if humans did such a thing there are chances or mental retardation or other health complications. But in LG's the traits it carries don't effect it unless it's an Enigma.
Genetics mean everything man thats why some are worth more than the others

Gopherhockey03

Genetics mean everything man thats why some are worth more than the others

He was asking if it effects the egg or hatchling. Of course it effects price if its a certain morph, but I was talking more of genes that effect leopard geckos health. I would rather have a healthy normal leopard gecko then a rare unhealthy one due to genetic problems. Like an enigma that can have major problems resulting in having to hand feed them every meal. What I meant is Leopard geckos genes seem to not have harmful effects HEALTH wise with there color variation.

He was asking if it effects the egg or hatchling. Of course it effects price if its a certain morph, but I was talking more of genes that effect leopard geckos health. I would rather have a healthy normal leopard gecko then a rare unhealthy one due to genetic problems. Like an enigma that can have major problems resulting in having to hand feed them every meal. What I meant is Leopard geckos genes seem to not have harmful effects HEALTH wise with there color variation.
I agree i misunderstood what you said haha but yea i wold too any day of the week

Gopherhockey03

Have you seen how bad some of those enigmas are? It's kinda sad... I saw a video where this gecko was like 5inches off every time trying to grab a meal worm :( They are gorgeous geckos tho!!! Some can show it big time and some can't they seem pretty hit or miss.

Have you seen how bad some of those enigmas are? It's kinda sad... I saw a video where this gecko was like 5inches off every time trying to grab a meal worm :( They are gorgeous geckos tho!!! Some can show it big time and some can't they seem pretty hit or miss.
I hear ya but i think its all in the breeder to because if they keep breeding the same female leo then that will start problems like that so i think a lot maybe breeder too

Geckomaster743

Wait so your Saying breeding with Certain genes can be DANGEROUS????? Whats normal??? Should i basicly focus on Breeding the same Color Ratio???

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
The enigma gene is known to have associated brain/behavioural problems with it. But otherwise, leos seem fairly resistant to inbreeding. Probably because wild populations often suffer from geographic isolation. Careful line breeders still have to out-cross somewhat. As you breed for recesssive traits, you can bring out genetic defects, too.

Wait so your Saying breeding with Certain genes can be DANGEROUS????? Whats normal??? Should i basicly focus on Breeding the same Color Ratio???
No genetics arent dangerous and two if the breeder breeds to much from the female in may led to unhealthy offspring. Like anything you breed.

And I agree with LeoLover also.

Gopherhockey03

No genetics arent dangerous and two if the breeder breeds to much from the female in may led to unhealthy offspring. Like anything you breed.

And I agree with LeoLover also.

Genetics is super dangerous....Wait till someone creates a super super super super super super super super super super super super super super Giant and it destroys the world... GODZILLA was a Leopard gecko ya know!!! :) But GODZILLA was only a super super super super super super Giant a little bit smaller than a super super super super super super super super super super super super super super Giant. :D

Geckomaster743

Agh! I just wanted to breed 2 Leopard geckos together not switch Half the world with the other Side =/ This Sounds so complicated! Any way can we mention some Rules for me???? Like Breed with same color or some thing like that????

Gopherhockey03

Agh! I just wanted to breed 2 Leopard geckos together not switch Half the world with the other Side =/ This Sounds so complicated! Any way can we mention some Rules for me???? Like Breed with same color or some thing like that????

If your going to keep them then do what you want!!! Who cares they are yours!!! There is no set rules except make sure that your babies are taken care of or go to a good home. I would say the rules only apply to people who breed and sell lots of geckos like T.U.G and Tremper and the other big ones that are expected to provide you with the morph you want. But don't mix albino strains that's a rule btw! All the other morphs have at it!!! Your 13 slow it down your a little anxious!!!! When I was around that age I was the same way with poke'mon luckily you could breed them in the game :). I say you wait till your older and your 100% sure its what you wanna do, but no offense to you what so ever. I know you have done your research and I know your a 100% capable of breeding and raising the hatchlings. But again no offense a lot of people would question buying from a 13 year old! So being your age makes things a little harder. Not trying to be a mom or anything haha! Just looking out for ya!!!

LeoLover1

3 Year Member

Visit our friends