Breeding Meal Worms for dumbies

Gopherhockey03

Step 1 : Buy 500 meal worms
Step 2 : Put meal worms in container containing *Oats(This is substrate)* Apples, Carrots, Potatoes, Mashed up dry dog food.
Step 3 : Frequently check worms make sure they have enough food!
Step 4 : Check everyday for pupae.
Step 5 : Move Pupae to separate container with NO substrate!!! Easier to find Beatles that way =)
Step 6 : after pupae turn move Beatles to New container. Remember food!!!
Step 7 : After about two weeks take Beatles out of substrate and place in new container! Leave that substrate in the container because you have brand new baby mealies on the way! CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE BABIES!!!! !!!!
Step 8: Repeat process to supply your Geckos =)
This works for me and has taken a couple months so be patient!!!

This is the way I do it I keep the babies in the bottom, Feeders in the middle, and beatles on top ===>>> 1326094102080.jpg 1326094104828.jpg 1326094107418.jpg I have a seperate container for pupae!===>>> 1326094109434.jpg

Katherine

3 Year Member
Can I ask a question? I've read that when the beetles emerge from the pupa, they might eat the other pupa. What if one emerges and I don't separate them in time because I wasn't home?

Gopherhockey03

If you look in my pupae box I have a carrot in there. But I think they only eat pupae as a last resort. They should be good for two days mixed with the pupae without food. If you offer food they won't eat each other! And honestly I have hundreds of pupae if I loose a couple i'm not to concerned. That's why you should really start with at least 500 Meal worms.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Great post Tanner! Thanks for putting together a guide that others can use to start a mealworm colony!

SusieLou

3 Year Member
This is great. But oh so disgusting. Thanks for sharing, but I think that maybe I'll just find other means haha.

Gopherhockey03

Its what I thought but after driving to the petstore all the time and spending money when breeding meal worms is foolo proof. And you will find crickets are wayyyyyy worse....

Brittany

3 Year Member
Can crested geckos eat meal worms.. I hear so many bad things about meal worms and how they are bad. I only feed mine crested gecko diet.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Crested geckos should be eating CGD almost completely. You can give them the occasional cricket, roach, or worm for a treat (2-4 bugs, no more than once a week; dust them with calcium and vitamins for extra nutrition). I tried mealworms with mine, but he wasn't interested. They aren't the best since are very fatty and not very healthy (the ones from the pet store anyway). It may be different if you gut load with healthy things.

Gopherhockey03

Idk about crested geckos.... I think they are best kept on Crested gecko diet and give them crickets once a week. And I don't see why people don't like meal worms if Ron Tremper the greatest Leopard Gecko breeder ever uses meal worms I am for sure going to do it also. I don't think you should use just meal worms, but they should be at least 60/40 Meal worms to Cricket ratio but remember to GUT LOAD anything you choose to feed him!

Katherine

3 Year Member
Hey, I can see itty bitty mealworms at the bottom of my container with beetles. Should I move the beetles to a different container, or can I leave them with the baby mealworms?

domingos

I actually cut the bottom of the plastic drawer and put in a fine mesh so I don't have to move the Beatles the babies fall right thru the bottom in to my other shelf on the bottom I been doing it like this for a wile and it works

Visit our friends