Breeding my own mealies

lilkat218

I breed my own mealworms for my leos. I can't seem to get them to grow larger than about 1/2 inch, and they stay very small. Do you use anything in particular to get them larger? My leos will eat them, but they're so small, they need a huge amount to be filling. I keep them on worm chow from Georgia crickets, and feed potatoes and carrots as well. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilkat218

I usually order large or giant mealies from premium crickets (Georgia crickets) and any pupae I find in my Leo's cages I used to populate my colony. I was under the impression 'giant' mealworms are fed a growth hormone. I have never bred any that big. I'll have to take & post photos, but from what I can tell, they're regular old mealworms

indyana

Okay then. Nothing special to do to grow mealworms to full size other than feeding and waiting. When they get large enough, they will pupate on their own and turn to beetles. Maybe you just haven't gone through the full cycle yet?

lilkat218

5974d3796436b8178e85c425816cb043.jpg

This is about as big as they get. Some will pupate & I get normal beetles. I find that at this stage, if I try to save some in the fridge they just die, and I can't seem to grow them any larger than this.

indyana

I see a couple in there that look full size (fatter around, about an inch). My only suggestion would be to provide more room/bedding for them so they spend more time eating. Not sure if anyone else has ideas as to why they would be small.

JessJohnson87

Have you tried putting some oats in a blender and putting them on a bed of that? I have mine on a bed of oats and feed them carrots, kale and orange slices twice a week and they've grown quite a bit since I decided to start breeding.

lilkat218

That not the container they live in long term. I was sifting the bedding to collect them for feeding. I keep them on 'worm chow' from premium crickets normally. I put the potatoes in there to shoe size/scale. I usually order giant or large mealworms, are they a different species? I've raised these from the pupae I get from the giant/large mealies. I also find my leos won't eat these small guys well, they need a huge dish of them to get their interest, but supers or large mws are no problem. Hmm...

Visit our friends