brumating bearded dragon. what are the signs

vinnie-gecko

ive had sydney my bearded dragon just over a year now. i think she maybe brumating but im not too sure as she has never done this so i dont know what to expect. but here are some things that are going on

stopped eating nearly 2 months ago (i think she still has the odd bit of salad, but only tiny amounts and not that often)
she doesnt sit on her basking spot anymore, and if i put her on it she tends to move after 5 minutes.
she seems alot more sleepy
she has been going to sleep around 3-4 hours before her lights are due to turn off
and she is over 1 year old

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
My dragon is doing same thing except he is still eating, so I'm not sure if he is wanting to brumate or just being lazy. He doesn't get out of bed even if he is awake; he will only bask for an hour or so after eating; and if I put him up on his branch in the afternoon, he'll jump right down within 2 minutes. He also tends to go back to sit under his log as early as 2pm, and remain there till the light goes out at 7pm then he falls asleep.

Oh he is one year old too. I talked to our vet about whether he is in a semi-brumation mode, but since he is still interested in food (not so much veges though), she doubt that he is into brumation. I wonder if its part of adulthood, how "lazy" is your adult dragon? Do they move around much?

vinnie-gecko

My dragon is doing same thing except he is still eating, so I'm not sure if he is wanting to brumate or just being lazy. He doesn't get out of bed even if he is awake; he will only bask for an hour or so after eating; and if I put him up on his branch in the afternoon, he'll jump right down within 2 minutes. He also tends to go back to sit under his log as early as 2pm, and remain there till the light goes out at 7pm then he falls asleep.

Oh he is one year old too. I talked to our vet about whether he is in a semi-brumation mode, but since he is still interested in food (not so much veges though), she doubt that he is into brumation. I wonder if its part of adulthood, how "lazy" is your adult dragon? Do they move around much?

mine doesnt move around much anyway as she has mbd in her hips and back legs. but when she wants to move she can move quite quickly even though she has to drag herself

vinlandherps

From what I've read about brumation some beardies will only seem to slow down and become "lazy" while others will go through a nearly comatose brumation state. My boy Ramsey has gone through two different brumations since I've had him. The first time was really a full brumation and the other was a semi-brumation (symptoms of brumation but didn't completely go into full-on brumation). Perhaps your boy is doing the same thing?

vinlandherps

ive had sydney my bearded dragon just over a year now. i think she maybe brumating but im not too sure as she has never done this so i dont know what to expect. but here are some things that are going on

stopped eating nearly 2 months ago (i think she still has the odd bit of salad, but only tiny amounts and not that often)
she doesnt sit on her basking spot anymore, and if i put her on it she tends to move after 5 minutes.
she seems alot more sleepy
she has been going to sleep around 3-4 hours before her lights are due to turn off
and she is over 1 year old

It sounds like she is getting ready to brumate :) Here is a great article that outlines why they brumate and how you can tell if yours is trying to.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/

The forum is wonderful as well. I recommend it to all beardie owners.

Visit our friends