Bugs in enclosure

jfenton954

I've noticed these little bugs on my temporary giant day gecko enclosure. They are on it poop. Does anyone know what they are? Are they good or bad? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398959712.308506.jpg

Amanda1

3 Year Member
They might be springtails, which are very good to have, although it's hard to tell from the pic. No matter what it is, if it's eating poop it's welcome in my tanks. Less cleaning for me.

jfenton954

I don't think their springtails, they look a little bigger and less white. I bought springtails for my main enclosure.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
That photo is so close it looks like an impressionist painting! ;)
I like my enclosures insect-free unless I deliberately put them there. I'd try to remove the bug though I can't tell exactly what it is.

jfenton954

I haven't seen them anywhere in the enclosure but on the poop. And they seem to be eating it til it's gone. My guess is that they came in the 100% cypress mulch. Would that help determine what they are?

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Can't tell you exactly what they are. There are different types of springtails, maybe those are just a bigger kind. And like I said, if it eats poop, it's fine by me. I like having bugs in my enclosures.

Jetfire

Dubias make excellent janitors/snacks,I keep them in all the habitats except for the Leos (too dry).The spot cleaning is reduced to practically nothing.

Geckomaster743

Dubias make excellent janitors/snacks,I keep them in all the habitats except for the Leos (too dry).The spot cleaning is reduced to practically nothing.
Haha, Jetfire good to hear from you again. I actually like this topic, Been a while since I've been so interested in reading some thing that would save me a lot of time lol. Personally I have a lot of crap to clean at the end of every week. Where can I get spring tails?

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
@jetfire come back to us! lol! ;) :)
I'm slated to be getting some dubia really soon. I will have to look into springtails

jfenton954

They are totally infested in my mealworms colony!!!! But I don't need a magnifying glass to spot them there are little white dots everywhere!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406210696.612513.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406210707.692325.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406210717.152391.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, those are grain mites. Heat and cold are your allies, though you may lose your mealworms in the process.

Aliza

jfenton954

Good call thanks!! Grain mites... Got rid of mealworm colony and shop vac the stand and area where they were and their pretty much gone!!

Geckomaster743

I sucked up boiling water in my shop vac to be sure they would die.
That sounds like it should finish them off, Another thing to make sure they are gone is to freeze the enclosure for 24 - 48 hours. When I buy substrate I usually freeze it for 24 - 48 hours if it comes from outside like trees where they can pick up wood mites.

jfenton954

Yeah freezing the enclosure is not an option at all I have a live vivarium that would kill everything. Plus I don't see any grain mites anywhere around or in the enclosure. Plus I threw out the whole mealworm colony.

Visit our friends