Buying my first Gecko

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I agree with Caleb. Try to find a rescue or something before going to PetCo. Also we have some vendors here that may ship one to you if you're not too far away

Rylee

3 Year Member
Yeah, I agree I woudlnt risk buying one from PetCo! You could always order online and have one shipped right to your door!

Amanda1

3 Year Member
There are several rescues near Chicago that take in herps. I adopted my tortoise from Fur Angels Animal Sanctuary on the west side. You could contact them to see if they have any geckos at the moment. You could also check on petfinder.com.

midnightgecko

Ok thanks everyone!! Also, might apply for a job at PetCo JUST So I can truly take care of the cute reptiles there because I went there today and the substrate for baby leos is sand and that's bad! they should use repti carpet instead.. wish me luck! :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Petco will not change their substrate because you tell them to. Some of the Petco's near me have switched to repti-carpet, but the decision, as I understand it, originates above the command level of the individual store.

I believe there is a regular reptile show in the Chicago area in Tinley Park. Check out kingsnake.com section about reptile shows to find when there is one in Chicago.

Aliza

midnightgecko

Yea you're right. I hope they do accept to change the subtrate because that would be better for the leos and they would live longer and the costumers would buy a little more healthier leos.

Visit our friends