Cage Size question

grboxa

So I'm really looking into purchasing a bearded dragon soon. I will be working steadily soon and about to renovate my room and make some changes, purchasing a beardie is one:main_thumbsup:. I have been researching on these animals for a couple months and really am intrigued in how social and interactive they can be. Before purchasing one I will obviously make sure everything is setup, but for starters I would like to ask for some opinions if a exo-terra 24x18x18 tank would work housing a beardie in its younger state?.

coker101

I think that's fine for a young dragon.

However you will want a minimum of a 40gal. for a single adult....imo.

grboxa

Thanks for the response, now of course like all animals they will grow differently, but generally how long do you think the 24x18 will be good for. You mentioned adult, so 1 year?. These guys can get big fast iv'e read.

LaurenceH

Sophisticated Ignorance
That would be a good size for hatchlings until they get to be about twelve inches long or so. By then they will require at least an 18x36 cage footprint. It usually takes about 6-8 months like sam said. They do grow fast.

Last edited:

RyuuKirin

I started Ryuu off in a 54 gallon corner "house" and ended up moving her into a 75 gallon tank as she grew... I wouldn't recommended moving them though if you can at all help it. It took her forEVER to re-acclimate, even though she was in the same room with the same furniture and hammock and everything.

Visit our friends