Calci/Vita Sand and AFT's?

cherishedtiger

Ok, so I got my AFT's and through reading have completely confused myself, or been confused. :confused:
Either way I was trying to find decent substrate for a nice looking cage set up. I got them Vita Sand (or Calci sand, whatever) and now I am reading that that can be fatal to AFT's :stunned:
Should I rush home, dump out their substrate and use something else, or will they be ok? What do you guys all use? I keep hearing paper towels, but honestly, I like the look of natural surrounding type environments...
Any help would be fantastic and greatly appreciated!!!

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
I use semi-moist Coconut Fiber for my ATF. She likes to dig in it & make snuggly holes. I have also observed, with my ATF & Savannah Monitors, that this substrate does pass easily if a small amount does happen to get ingested. My Savannah just recently ingested a large amount of substrate in her fury to eat a roach & passed it quite easily the next day.

Calci-Sand use is discouraged because animals have been known to ingest it trying to get calcium. Switch it out as soon as you can. Paper towels & tile are common "substrates" that are used also.

cherishedtiger

Darn... I really liked the look of it. Oh well, I can always use it with my beardie. Thanks for the advice! I just hate how when doing all the research you can hear so many different things! One place says do this, the other doesn't, one care sheet says this the other doesn't...
Thanks for the help!

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
I do use plain, washed sand from the building supplies place down the road for Jayke. He's been on sand since I got him & I haven't had any problems. But I've never used store bought sand. My parent's have 5 acres of sand & I used to get it from outside & baked it. The sand is very fine compared to the store bought ones.

I have noticed with my ATF that she likes it a little more humid than the leopard geckos; but that could be because the guy we got her from kept her substrate "very" humid.

endrien

Darn... I really liked the look of it. Oh well, I can always use it with my beardie. Thanks for the advice! I just hate how when doing all the research you can hear so many different things! One place says do this, the other doesn't, one care sheet says this the other doesn't...
Thanks for the help!

Please don't use it with your beardie either...
http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=158836

They can also ingest it like AFT and Leo's and become impacted.

cherishedtiger

WOW..... ok
:oops:

I will remove the sand from my tanks... at least I didnt go with any weird dyed colors... just the normal types... but I am sure even those are dyed.

Thanks for the advice. Changing out cages tonight.

cherishedtiger

Ok, got the coconut fiber as was mentioned (thank you!!) they really seem much happier in it and have already started digging out nesting areas. Got the big 3 brick and switched out my blood pythons substrate to that as well to hold in heat and humidity. Seems to be working great for every one. Thank you for the advice!

Visit our friends