Calcium Dish For Hatchlings?

30secondstobob

Do five day old hatchlings require a little dish of calcium/D3 - or is a light dusting of the feeders enough? I just can't picture babies just learning how to eat, taking a bite out of a pile of calcium. Might scar them for life. Just seems wrong for some reason. Bob

Dimidiata

Id Imagine it would be important for youngins to have a calcium supply exspecialy since their at that stage where their muscels and bones are streangthening.

30secondstobob

Yeah, but too much calcium can cause toxicity also, I imagine. Do these five day old brains have the gecko equivalent of common sense to know how much to ingest? That's why I thought a dusting of the food may be enough for them. Not like a gecko in the wild is going to stumble into a pile of calcium powder and have a go at it. Bob

MarkXS

Personally I don't use a seperate calcium dish. I just put calcium in their feeding/worm dish, they lap up a bit with every mealworm they eat. Works fine for me.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My adults get Repashy calcium plus only without extra calcium in the cage. The babies get a bottle cap of calcium without D3. The babies are brought up on mealworms and I sprinkle Repashy calcium plus over them at each feeding. This has worked fine.

Aliza

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
We keep our supplement mix in the dish with fresh supply of worms at all times. We can't compare their supplements to wild geckos since their diet and nutritional value of their diet is so radically different. How many crickets/worms do you think live off water crystals and carrots in the wild? Supplementation is very important for all stages of life but especially breeding females and young geckos.

30secondstobob

OK, seeing how no one posted about losing hatchlings to calcium overdoses, I did give them a little milk jug cap of calcium powder as well as an occasional dusting of the feeders. Thanks guys! :) Bob

Visit our friends