Calcium

TatorTotTheGecko

I recently got my first ever leo, and he is obsessed with calcium! I read about calcium, and have begun putting a small bottle cap of calcium in his enclosure every few days, as well as dusting crickets with it. I use calcium with D3 on the crickets and without in the bottle cap. I have been worried, because he will eat the calcium out of the cap like it’s candy, and I’m not sure if it’s normal. While I have worried about health issues, I am reassured that he doesn’t have a high chance of MBD. Is it normal that he eats it so willingly, and how much should I give him?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Leopard geckos can get too much calcium and may actually show symptoms similar to those where they don't get enough. I no longer leave calcium in the cage except when I was breeding I kept it in the hatching cages because a few of them showed early signs of MBD. I feed adults twice a week and dust my feeders with calcium and D3 one of those times. Even the breeding females did fine with this regimen without the calcium in the enclosure.

Aliza

Visit our friends