Calciworms, NEW?

Allee Toler

So I went to my local pet chain (rare, but when my LPS is closed and I need feeders, I go there) and saw these things called Calciworms. Being curious, I bought 25 for $4. They looked like squished waxworms. When I got home, I looked up google, and they have a whole website. According to the website, they're a new worm.
www.calciworms.com

http://www.calciworms.com/nutrition.htm

So any ideas? I'm going to try feeding them to some of my leos. Anyone ever tried these? I've never seen them before!

charlie476

I managed to find this:
The larvae are sometimes sold as live pet food under the names phoenix worms and soldier grubs for owners of herps and tropical fish. They store high levels of calcium for future pupation which is beneficial to herps[3]. Phoenix worms were first developed as a feeder species by Insect Science Resource.

I pulled that info off wikipedia weather its accurate or not I don't know

Another interesting read:
The soldier fly has no functioning mouth parts and instead spends its adult lives in search of mates and reproducing

Final verdict they are Phoenix worms. I don't understand how they get off with calling them a different name?

Last edited:

Allee Toler

They look like my phoenix worms. I use PW as a staple. These are just more yellow and fuzzier. Lol. So I was wondering. But I guess they're related to them.

Thanks. =]

BalloonzForU

Calciworms are indeed phoenix worms, but since phoenix worms name is taken and under copyright/registered name or whatever, Timberline named their line Calci Worms. They have had them out for a couple of years now, introducing them at Daytona 06.

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
Excalty I saw of those at ***** too. They was like white and tanish. I honselty didnt know how much it is but im sure of that they are phoenix worms Because they are full of high Cacuim :O

Visit our friends