Can eggs with mold hatch?

Vision Geckos

visiongeckos.com
I'm concerned about one of the eggs in our incubator right now. Today is day 57, and we just noticed the egg is beginning to develop a little bit of mold on top. We incubated at 80 degrees, so we know the hatchlings will take a little bit longer. I do not think the eggs are infertile, because they are firm. I have a few questions that I'd like the community to respond to based on their own experience.

1. How frequently do leopard gecko eggs hatch despite the egg bearing mold?
  2. How many eggs have you successfully hatched with mold on them?
  3. Being that the eggs are so far along, what do you think the chances are that this egg will successfully hatch?
  4. What advice do you have?

Thanks for your input and help.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I can't answer specifically because I don't remember (getting old, poor memory) but I have had eggs that looked awful hatch. I have also had eggs look really good for 9 weeks, then shrivel up and when I opened them there was no embryo inside. Nothing to do but wait it out . . .

Aliza

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
When in doubt: incubate. It's been my experience that unless eggs are infertile from the start, eggs that get a little moldy towards the end of incubation tend to still hatch. I've had eggs that were almost furry with mold still hatch, and eggs that looked great crash close to hatch time. I'd say it's more often the former than the latter, though. As long as you're incubation setup is correct and the female was healthy, leo eggs are pretty "bullet proof." I'd keep incubating until I was positive there was no chance of a hatch.

Visit our friends