Can Fat Tails Have Spots?

LCG8928

I bought at a pet store what I was told was a African Fat Tail however she had spots and no stripe something i've never heard of in Fat Tails and i'm not sure the guy knew what he was talking about. I bought her anyway because I could use a new member of either species for my breeding colonies. Anyway, can they have spots or is there any other way I could identify her species?

LZRDGRL

It depends on the morph; they can have spots. Just click on JMG's banner and look at his fat tails. Maybe you have a granite?

Post a picture of it here; perhaps the pet store sold you a leopard gecko?? :main_laugh:

If you do have a granite, you made a good deal, because those are way more expensive than normal banded AFT's. Let's see a pic :main_yes:

Chrissy

LCG8928

Mine looks exactly like the second Fat Tail in the banner of the website you linked. What would that be? I'll try and get some pics whenever possible.

LZRDGRL

You mean the second box, not the banner of my link? Then, you really have a granite fat tail!
If you mean in JMG's banner (on top of their website): the second one there is a striped Mack Snow leopard gecko.

Chrissy

Last edited:

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
Like chrissy said, how about a picture and we will tell you what you have! Sounds like a granite though. I have a few and love their contrast!

Last edited:

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
What you have there is a nice Leopard Gecko. However....

Normal (wild type) Fat Tails actually do not have any spots. However, I have hatched out a few "spotted" Fat Tails from a spotted Female. I am trying to prove this trait to be genetic, I have produced 3 babies already displaying the color and pattern of the mom, first generation. Now just trying to see if the same color and pattern can be passed on from first generation animals (f1's) over to second generation animals (f2's). David Deem from shenandoah reptiles has one of the males I produced displaying the spots and we are breeding it back to mom to see if there is a homozygous (super) form.

Here are some pictures of the F1 Female and an F1 Normal Sibling!

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
What you have there is a nice Leopard Gecko. However....

Normal (wild type) Fat Tails actually do not have any spots. However, I have hatched out a few "spotted" Fat Tails from a spotted Female. I am trying to prove this trait to be genetic, I have produced 3 babies already displaying the color and pattern of the mom, first generation. Now just trying to see if the same color and pattern can be passed on from first generation animals (f1's) over to second generation animals (f2's). David Deem from shenandoah reptiles has one of the males I produced displaying the spots and we are breeding it back to mom to see if there is a homozygous (super) form.

Here are some pictures of the F1 Female and an F1 Normal Sibling!

At risk of sounding stupid, why is the gecko on the left not just considered a granite?

Wild West Reptile

More importantly, this is why you shouldn't be buying geckos on a whim at pet stores. Whoever sold you it Is obviously clueless. If they can't even tell the difference between fat tails and leopard geckos they should NOT be selling them to anyone. Next time buy from a breeder who knows what they're selling and has the knowledge to help you before, during and after the sale. The extra money you spend is well worth it.

OnlineGeckos

More importantly, this is why you shouldn't be buying geckos on a whim at pet stores. Whoever sold you it Is obviously clueless. If they can't even tell the difference between fat tails and leopard geckos they should NOT be selling them to anyone. Next time buy from a breeder who knows what they're selling and has the knowledge to help you before, during and after the sale. The extra money you spend is well worth it.

+1, not to mention since the OP is talking about breeding, you want to avoid buying pet store geckos to breed as you have no idea of their genetic background or health.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™

Well said Chris! I agree 100%

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
At risk of sounding stupid, why is the gecko on the left not just considered a granite?

Granite is line bred, in other words, if the mother was a Granite all babies that hatched would exhibit some sort of granite trait.

The Calicos, the name I have coined the geckos from the project, as from what I have seen, have a completely different pattern and color "variation". They have creamy yellows and chestnut color, along with spotting, and the all important neck stripe.

The first picture I have included is a picture of the original Female and the second is a picture of one of the first generation males I hatched in 2010 that displayed the look of the original female. So this is why I believe it is a dominant/co-dominant, but some more testing is to done before I am 100% certain.

If you have anymore question, or if anyone does, please feel free to email or pm me. One can also check out my website with the history on how this project came to be. (http://www.imperialgeckos.com/news.html)

Hope this answers your question! :main_thumbsup:

Wild West Reptile

So would this be considered "spots" on a fat tail gecko? This is one of my Granite's that are "spotted". He has spots on his legs and torso. I will be hatching out baby's from him very soon, so we will see if it's genetic or not.

IMG_2316-1.jpg

IMG_2319-1.jpg

JdiLb

Aren't the "spots" just natural to their skin? It seems like all of them have the bumps, just some with more/less pigment on them. Maybe the line breeding is simply enhancing the pigment.

Visit our friends