Can I Assume They're Both Eating?

30secondstobob

Thankfully, my 8 day old hatchlings are still alive and appear to be doing well. (I've read through some of the nightmarish posts of all the bad things that can happen to hatchlings :() If I'm losing 7 to 9 tiny mealworms per day out of my feeding dish, can I assume they're both eating, or can one eat that many in a day? Keep in mind they're only 8 days old and have only been eating for 4. I have seen one run out of the hide and snatch a mealie on several occasions, but they look so much alike, it's tough to tell which is which. I'm also trying to disturb them as little as possible - just sneak a peak at them once in a while. Bob

Owens

Island Reptiles
unless you see them both eating you can't be sure, best you can do while housed together is monitor their weights closely. if you want to be sure you will have to house separately.

30secondstobob

So one hatchling CAN eat as many as 8 or 9 mealworms in one day? I still think they're both eating however even though I can't be sure I've seen both of them eat. They both look healthy and are definately growing. I don't think they'd be that lively and healthy looking if they havent eaten since they left the egg 10 days ago. I could be wrong. Bob

RampantReptiles

Geckos dont start eating until after their first shed. This can be around 2-7 days after hatching. They dont immediately become ravenous pigs either. They kind of have to figure it out and work up the appetite over a few days. Then they become eating monsters!!:main_evilgrin:
7-9 mealworms a day... are these medium/large? or small?

Im sure they are probably fine. If you notice over time that one is staying a lot smaller, being bullied, losing fat in the tail; then obviously they need to be separated.

fl_orchidslave

When I house hatchlings together, it's always with an excess of little mealworms. That way there is no fighting for food. If one begins to outgrow the other, they get separated.

30secondstobob

The mealworms I'm offering are labeled as small. I would consider them "very small". They are about a quarter to a third of an inch long and slightly thinner than an uncooked spaghetti noodle. I do provide a surplus (about 20) of fresh worms every day - I just count how many are missing. Bob

Visit our friends