Can I feed leos adult crickets?

cdpaca

Its my first leopard gecko and I wanna make sure its healthy and it has everything it needs. The age of my tremper albino enigma het leo is 1-2 months. Previous owner which is a breeder said that it already passed through its first shed. Heres my question, can I feed my leopard gecko adult crickets? They are what I have at the moment. If yes, how many crickets and how often do I feed it? Thanks.

If the adult cricket is smaller than the space between the gecko's eyes, then yes. If it's larger, you'll need to buy smaller crickets. Once you have the right size, feed as many as he will eat in 15 mins. Oh, and don't forget, you need a bottle cap of calcium powder in the tank at all times, and dust the crickets with calcium w/ D3 a few times a week, and a reptile multivitamin once a week. :)

cdpaca

Thanks. Do I really need calcium powder for a gecko that age? Or its only optional as long as its fed well? I dont have calcium powder at the moment. What should I use for a substitute?

Dinosaur!

geckos especially need it when they are young or breeding- when they need it to form bones or calcify eggs. I have had hatchlings this year begin to develop MBD, but it was reversed when I added a calcium bowl. It would be in its best interest to add one to its tank.

cdpaca

Thanks I found a pet shop selling calcium powder with D3. Should I always fill the calcium bowl or just once - three times a week? I heard giving too much overdoses your gecko. So better be safe than sorry

Dinosaur!

You need to dust with calcium with D3 powder every other day or every day (do research and figure out how much you want to dust), you need a multi vitamin with vitamin A once a week or so, and a bowl of pure (no D3) calcium in the tanks of babies and breeders. There are lots of other successful methods to dusting, but that's a breakdown of the basics. Just don't put the D3 calcium in the tank. That's for dusting. You need the pure calcium for the tank :)

Visit our friends