Can I feed my crestie applesauce?

leoguy1

Proud to be a Texan
Just wondering if I can feed applesauce to my crestie without a problem. Only the unsweetend applesauce.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
No, apples are very hard to digest, they are also not a normal fruit for them to eat, it also contains added sugars. Want to give your gecko a treat, try pureed mango instead, it is a more natural fruit.

anbu

im not a pro here but im gunna have to say no on this one. i guess if you really feel the urge to feed something besides crickets and CGD, you could mash up some banana real smooth. after a really good washing after you peel it of course. im sure banana's are pretty natural to em
*and i would make sure the banana is on the very ripe side, none of that green stuff. they naturally eat overly rip mushy fruit.*

Last edited:

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
I'd stick with either bananas, mango or strawberries...applesauce can give it diarrhea which will lead to dehydration.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Oh, okay. I'll stick to bannana baby food.

DO NOT FEED BABY FOOD TO CRESTED GECKOS.

Baby food is just junk to them, they love it but they tend to get addicted to it and it doesn't contain what they need. Crested geckos should be fed the following choices and ONLY the following choices:

Crested Gecko Diet. They NEED this. It should be the base and can be the only thing fed.

Appropriately sized, gut loaded, supplemented crickets or roaches. (Sparingly, this is more of a treat thing, they don't require bugs but some like them)

The occasional treat of pureed mango or ripe banana is ok, use either the reptile-specific version made by Zoomed, or get mangos and puree your own.

Baby food, that dry pellet crap, superworms/mealworms, citrus fruits, outdoor insects, pinky mice, etc are ALL inappropriate for crested geckos. Stick to CGD, it's easy, simple and well balanced.

Zero_Cool

i agree !!!... i got my Male crested gecko (patrick) for the kids to enjoy also & the bum only comes out of his hiding spot long after the kids bedtime... I love to see him in the late hours out of hiding though !...

kevinb

Noob breeder
Random question but what's CGD?

1.0 High Yellow Jungle "Bruce"
0.1 Mack Snow Tremper Albino "Ava"
0.1 Rainwater Patternless "Pita"
1.0 Albino Checkered Garter "Herbert II"
0.0.1 Common Garter "Lucile"
0.0.1 Eastern Milksnake "Tiffany"

Visit our friends