Can I use eco earth and just put in isopods and springtails for a clean up crew?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The only issue is that isopods and springtails usually need a wetter environment. They do well in crested gecko enclosures, for example, that get misted daily. If you put them in with the leopard geckos they will either not survive or will camp out under the water bowl. Some people frown on any kind of particle substrate, but I haven't had any problems with eco earth. When I did have a bioactive substrate I was using dermestid beetles. Here's a link to an article about making a bioactive leopard gecko enclosure:

Aliza

asking questions

The only issue is that isopods and springtails usually need a wetter environment. They do well in crested gecko enclosures, for example, that get misted daily. If you put them in with the leopard geckos they will either not survive or will camp out under the water bowl. Some people frown on any kind of particle substrate, but I haven't had any problems with eco earth. When I did have a bioactive substrate I was using dermestid beetles. Here's a link to an article about making a bioactive leopard gecko enclosure:

Aliza
I'll check this out thank you!

asking questions

Aliza
Also what's a good bioactive subsrate?

asking questions

Aliza
Or could I use eco earth and just give a light mist?

Onelifegecs

I’m not positive you’d have to do some looking the biodude is another one. However, it can get pricey. Also look into some of joshs frogs substrates. There’s always making your own bio active bedding and Serpadesign and snakediscovery on YouTube both provide videos on how to do that. Eco earth isn’t great because it lacks various nutrients to sustain an ecosystem.

asking questions

I’m not positive you’d have to do some looking the biodude is another one. However, it can get pricey. Also look into some of joshs frogs substrates. There’s always making your own bio active bedding and Serpadesign and snakediscovery on YouTube both provide videos on how to do that. Eco earth isn’t great because it lacks various nutrients to sustain an ecosystem.
Will my leo get impacted on snake discovery's subsrate? Thank you so much for helping me btw.

Onelifegecs

There's always a risk of impaction with every loose substrate. I used to use loose substrate with my Leo but he was clutzy and ingested too much. It's just about watching ur gec and determining what is best. If your heat is good and you monitor your gecko while it's on it you should be fine. I can't tell you what's best because idk your gecko. I feel like the risk is low with hers though definitely better than any kind of sand

asking questions

There's always a risk of impaction with every loose substrate. I used to use loose substrate with my Leo but he was clutzy and ingested too much. It's just about watching ur gec and determining what is best. If your heat is good and you monitor your gecko while it's on it you should be fine. I can't tell you what's best because idk your gecko. I feel like the risk is low with hers though definitely better than any kind of sand
I'll take all of your advice. Thank you so much for helping me out!

Visit our friends