Cannot get hatchling to eat?

Visionist

One of my hatchlings is 9 days old and still has not eaten. His sibling is one day younger and is eating fine. I've tried getting some guts on his mouth and he started to lick one of the mealworms but would not eat it. What can I do?

Visionist

also separate.. anytime you have a feeding issue

Wouldn't that stress him further to move him though? Either of them changing tanks at such a young age wouldn't be very good?
I can definitely separate them, just wondering. I will also pick up some crickets tomorrow to try to get him to eat. Last night he went for one of the mealworms I waved in from of him with tweezers but just bit it, did not eat it.

DrCarrotTail

I don't think they stress quite that easily. I DO know not moving him would stress me out more as I worried. Since I'm higher up the food chain and way bigger, I win :p

Visionist

I don't think they stress quite that easily. I DO know not moving him would stress me out more as I worried. Since I'm higher up the food chain and way bigger, I win :p

I have them separated now and will wait until there are no more food issues before putting them back together.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some of them just take longer to eat than others. Separating was a good idea and just continue to offer. Some of them do best being hand fed but then you may be stuck with that long term.

Aliza

SC Geckos

I have them separated now and will wait until there are no more food issues before putting them back together.

I would just keep them seperated. If you put them back together they may still compete for food which could cause stress. Plus it is easier to monitor whos eating what. JMO.

Visionist

11 days in and he still hasn't eaten yet from what I can tell. I'm starting to get worried so I put a bunch of mealworms in a syringe and pushed the guts out in little dabbles on his nose. He did lick a bit of it off so at least this might kick start his eating. If not I will keep it up until I can get him to eat.

Visit our friends