Cave heaven

Lavodnas

I posted some pics of my latest and greatest project when I first formed it in another post and here is the finished product.

He has a little maze on the first level to explore with 3 staircases leading up to the second level and a piece of driftwood leading from the second level to the third. The third level has a section cut out where his moist hide fits nicely but is hidden when looking at the tank from the front. All this is in a 20 gallon long. Talk about spoiled! Also caught a pic of him checking things out. This last project plus a couple of others I have done for friends finally inspired me to maybe start making and selling these on a local level. Hope you enjoy it...I know my gecko already does!

New Second Level.jpg Complete Front View.jpg Already exploring.jpg

Olympus

Biologist & Ecologist
Nice! I love how you did it, in four quadrants. I've always wondered the best way to do something like this but have it be easily removable and I think you nailed it.

Lavodnas

I actually have my gecko to thank for the inspiration to do this in 4 pieces. The front right corner of the tank is his restroom area so I wanted to make that part the easiest to get to without having to take the whole thing apart and my idea just grew from there.

Lavodnas

Here's a pic of the bottom piece that I have in an older post. I was going to make 2 hides on the left but ended up cutting out the connecting walls shown here to make it one big hide with 2 entrances. Instead of a big open space, I made it into a little maze just so he could explore more. It also adds a bit of excitement when I feed him crickets since they run all over the place.

First floor bottom view.jpg

ejh805

This is awesome :)

What kind of styrofoam did you use, and where did you get it?
I want to try to build something similar for my leos.

Lavodnas

Just regular ol polystyrene foam. I bought it at Home Depot but you should be able to find it at any hardware store. If I remember right, a pack of 5 sheets was about $11. It was enough to last me through 3 projects of my own plus a couple of side projects for friends.

Lavodnas

Wish I could have recorded a vid, but didn't get a chance to...had a chance to see my little guy run up one ramp, down another, back up the third ramp, all the way to the top, then back down again to catch one tricky lil cricket. It was almost like watching a gecko version of the "Insanity" workout...lol

Lavodnas

Thanks Tiffany, I've done a couple of these that may have looked cooler, but after watching him explore my other creations, I was inspired to do this one and he LOVES it!

Visit our friends