CGD Dry

gaparicio

Let's Go Bears!
I've never heard of anybody doing this at all. I don't even think a crestie would be interested either. I could be wrong though. My question is why would you want to try it?

Khrysty

There are a lot of weirdos on youtube.

Think of it this way: yeah, instant pancake mix is the same thing whether it has water in it and has been cooked or not. It holds the same nutrition. But...why would you want to eat the powder instead of the pancake? It's not nearly as good...

Wetting the CGD will also help it give off its scent better--which is what attracts the geckos it it to begin with

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
dont trust everything on youtube, although he is a large breeder, there are plenty of things in that video to make you think twice about it. It seem to be the more lazy way out as it is far easier to just spoon in dry food rather then mixing it with the water the dishing it out.

Many of us discussed this on Pangea once, and even Matt Parks owner of Pangea doesnt suggest doing it for worry of dehydration due to feeding it. It works well as a supplement powder, alot of people will dust their crickets in it when offering their Rhacs crickets, but they still offer the CGD mixed with the water.

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
I had heard of this method some time last year from someone else who was already feeding all of their Cresteds CGD dry with great success. I was skeptical at first and decided to try this method myself over the last few months and found that some individual geckos of mine actually do prefer the CGD (especially the two part base/nectar mixture) dry. They will come right to the dish when they smell it and start licking it up right away. I still usually offer the CGD MRP (one part diet) mixed with water several times a week to all of my Crested Geckos, but I have noticed that the ones that prefer it dry seem to eat more often and also seem to maintain a nice healthy weight and more vibrant colors as a result. While some may not believe or trust in this method, I have found (as have others who produce hundreds of healthy Cresteds every year) that it can and does work on many if not most of my Crested Geckos. The fact that the CGD won't spoil nearly as fast when offered dry is an added benefit. It really is a personal choice, but if others are having success with using the CGD dry, and one can't provide concrete evidence that there are adverse effects to using the powder dry, then one shouldn't discard its validity based on speculation or anything else not able to be supported by facts. That being said, it is a basic care requirement to provide your geckos access to fresh water and misting them daily is a big part of that, so for me, I can't see dehydration becoming an issue by offfering the powder dry half of the time. I would also like to point out that some individual geckos that I actually hatched myself and raised up on the wet mixture with occasional crickets took to eating the powder dry right away, so it is not as though they were already used to eating it dry when I tested this method. Whether someone wants to try it or not, for whatever reason, I feel it is important that you shouldn't just listen to the people on the forums who only recite what they have read or heard, but keep an open mind. Experience is life's greatest teacher.

Visit our friends