Chlorhexidine

robin

on the left is the concentrate chlorhexidine used to clean herp cages (of course we dilute it before using it)

on the right is prescription chlorhexidine i am using prior to getting some dental work done.

if anyone ever had any questions about if chlorhexidine was toxic i think this may ease your mind a bit.

now this does not mean you should go gargle with the chlorhexidine used to clean cages because that would be just stupid. i just thought it was funny i was using the same thing i use to clean my leo cages to wash my mouth out LOL

chlorhexadine.jpg

A

AKA Stormie

I work in a pharmacy and I have actually been wondering what strength the chlorhexidine is diluted to when cleaning cages and if there is anything in the mouthwash which would make it unsuitable for cleaning. Not that I would, just the kind of thing which wanders through my mind on a slow day.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Well it is heavily diluted compared to the strength of the cage cleaning chlorhexidine gluconate at 2% where as the mouthwash being 0.12, it still doesn't seem that big of a gap to be safe ? still DON'T SWALLOW IT haha. Or it will lets say, clean your system out.

robin

Well it is heavily diluted compared to the strength of the cage cleaning chlorhexidine gluconate at 2% where as the mouthwash being 0.12, it still doesn't seem that big of a gap to be safe ? still DON'T SWALLOW IT haha. Or it will lets say, clean your system out.

but the mouth wash is already diluted. the stuff on the left (the concentrate) has yet to be diluted to use to clean the cages. its too early for me to do the math on the concentrate. i tell you what though, the first time i used the mouth wash i accidentally swallowed a little. ouch, it have me a slight tummy ache!

robin

it was the fact i swallowed a bit of it or because i took my meds without eating anything or both because i took my meds then brushed me teeth and gargled that stuff LOL

snakegirl

Lol haha i have the same stuff (pulling wisdom teeth) Never noticed that wow...love it so much i guess i used it as a mouth wash to..

snakegirl

Yeah it Bad! Like when its in your mouth your like "Wow i thought this be much worse..mint-ish" as soon as you spit it out....you will know something has gone Horribly Horribly Wrong! YUCK.

justindh1

That is some funny stuff! LOL! See we humans and reptiles are more alike then we think! Okay maybe not!

It looks like theres only a .08 difference in that stuff that makes it alright to put in our mouth.

ValMarley08

i work as a dental assistant....when i saw that they are selling chlro rinse as a cage cleaner i about had a stroke. the contents of that is too strong for a small animal....plus if anyone uses this on a regular basis you will find that this stains your teeth after use for an extended period of time. i would never use it for cage cleaning....we also cleanse roots out after a root canal with this stuff. all around bad idea for cage cleaning

robin

the stuff used to clean cages is a very diluted version. the concentrate in the photo has not yet been diluted for use to clean cages . chlorhexadine is also used in vets offices to disinfect surfaces.

LizMarie

the stuff used to clean cages is a very diluted version. the concentrate in the photo has not yet been diluted for use to clean cages . chlorhexadine is also used in vets offices to disinfect surfaces.

1+, I believe the cage cleaning one is 1oz per gallon of water. I feel a lot safer using chlorhexidine instead of bleach.

JordanAng420

the cleaner is approximately 17x stronger than the stuff for humans. i bet .12% would be just fine for cleaning cages too.

I'm sure it would be too, the only thing i'd be concerned about is the sugars and sweeteners used for the flavor attracting ants & other bugs.

Visit our friends