Chubby leo needs to lose weight. Helpful tips?

equinelove93

So I went away on vacation for about a month, and had to leave my 3 leopard geckos in the care of my father.

Before i left, i spoke to my dad and left hand written sheets about what to feed, how often, dusting feeders with what, checking temps and cleaning the cage etc.

He had looked after my leos before and he does understand their care. But he was unfamiliar with the worms. I feed mealworms and crickets as a staple to my geckos, but had some superworms that i feed occasionally.

My 3 year old female is a glutton and will eat anything infront of her. My dad ended up feeding her about 25 superworms while i was gone! He said "i thought they were bigger mealworms and she acted very hungry"

So needless to say mojo had eaten a ton of superworms and is now obese with a chubby tail body and chubby armpit flab..

So my question is how do i go about reducing her normal food intake (she was normally fed 3 times a week) im concerned with her not getting enough calcium and multivitamins as i cut back her diet to help her lose weight. Or does she have more than enough cacium stored in her body already?

Anyone have experience bringing a fat leo down to a healthy weight?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

I would just feed a lot less until she is the weight you want.

Honestly, I've never fed x many times a week. I've always gone off of weight. I decide on a target weight for the gecko (varies depending on size and gender since I usually want my females heavier than my males). I weigh them every week and adjust the amount of food accordingly. I have weeks where my males gain too much weight (males are just such easy keepers), so barely feed them until the next weighing.

As for supplementation, she will be fine with less of it for a while. Generally adult geckos can go fine without them for a while. It's just young ones you have to really watch out for.

Visit our friends