cleaning eggs

mschlottfeld

♂+♀+♥=4
How can I clean the remaining peat moss off the outside of an egg?

I am going to candle these eggs in a few days and was thinking that the remaining thin coating of peat moss will be in the way of getting a good candling.

I pulled all I can off by hand but there is some still left on there that would be blocking my view.

mschlottfeld

♂+♀+♥=4
I think its gonna take more then that as I could not rub it off.

How does everyone else that uses peat moss in the lay box get their eggs clean enough to candle them?

goReptiles

I use vermiculite, but I don't worry about cleaning them. You should still be able to candle the egg and see what's going on inside with a few strands of peat moss on it. I've never had a problem candling eggs with vermiculite on the unless their coated in it.

dprince

Mod Squad Member
I use peat moss, and the eggs get dirty. I don't bother to wipe them off totally, and I can candle them no problem. :main_thumbsup:

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
goReptiles said:
I use vermiculite, but I don't worry about cleaning them. You should still be able to candle the egg and see what's going on inside with a few strands of peat moss on it. I've never had a problem candling eggs with vermiculite on the unless their coated in it.

Same here, most of my eggs are covered, some more than others, but it doesn't interfere with the candling process

skyline

I have the same issue and my peat moss is realy fine so it gets all over the eggs my mom acatualy thought the eggs were speckled. I have no prblem candling them though.

mschlottfeld

♂+♀+♥=4
I think the problem is as skyline states with the peat moss being really fine.

I used vermiculite in the past but the gecko decided she didn't like it and laid in the middle of the enclosure.

I tried to candle through the peat moss coating but was unsuccessful.

I guess I will have to either somehow teach the gecko to lay in vermiculite or let all the eggs go full term or until they rot and hope for the best.

Can bad eggs going rotten have an effect on good eggs in the same container?

Visit our friends