Cleaning enclosure with substrate?

jenna

How is it done? I currently have green reptile carpet and was thinking about putting substrate in there. I have a male tokay and so I figured it would also help keep up the humdidty. Any sugguestions or help would be awsome!

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I'm assuming you're talking about coco coir or something similar? I would just spot clean, meaning pick out the larger solids and don't worry about the rest. Another alternative for that kind of tank, if you're planning on adding live plants, would be to add bugs like pillbugs, millipedes, and springtails, which break down the waste products into "fertilizer" that the plants can use. Then you don't really have to clean it at all, except to wipe down the glass if it gets dirty. I've got two terrariums set up like that and I LOVE it. Makes my life tons easier.

Caleb C

Yeah, like Amanda said, the most common are isopods and springtails, which can both be bought online. Millipedes sounds scary, and my aunt's bird ate one, and it killed the bird from the inside because the bird didn't chew.

Visit our friends