Cloudy Eye, Help!

Geckomaster743

For one, I would like to ask if we can have a new topic area for Posts on Sick reptiles. And to the part why im actually posting this! Ive noticed for a while now that Neo ( Leopard gecko ) hasnt been able to eat as well because he cant seem to see as easily through one of his eyes. Today he couldnt eat because he was in confusion of where the worm was so i picked up him and the left eye was cloudy and darkish while the other eye was light and very easy to see that it was fine. I'm not sure if he requires a vet but where would i get started. If he needs a vet i'll take him but any one got any Medications, Oitments, or Drops that i should use? I'll see if i can get some photos up but hes been acting REALLY agressive and im not sure why, So i'll see if i can hold him with out him making him Panic and act all defensive.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
He may be blind in that eye. If he is there's not much you can do. Can you get any good pics? Also try shining a light in that eye and see if the pupil contracts.

Geckomaster743

What does it mean if the Pupil contracts? I mean, he's acting like he has difficulty seeing. Plus he was fine before. I dont know how this could have happened though...

maverickgrl79

Oh no, i do not know but i will ask my professor tomorrow in class ( im going for veterinary medicine) she is a herp lover to. Hugs from me to you keep us posted!

Amanda1

3 Year Member
The pupil is the black part in the middle of the eye. When it's dark, the pupil gets big to let more light into the eye. When you shine a light on his eye, the pupil should contract (get smaller) into a thin slit. That won't happen if he's blind in that eye, so at least you'll know whether that eye is functional.

I would try talking to your nearest vet over the phone before taking him. Make sure they have experience with eye problems. You could even try talking to an eye doctor (for humans), they may be able to help.

Geckomaster743

Well i relooked it. Its not as cloudy any more though the Pupil... Its weirdly shaped and the bottem of the eye looks watery. Like i cant explain the look of the pupil. Its not like his other eye. The other one turns in to a snake ish eye look after i shine a light and then retracts in to a thicker form. I'll check now. Thanks i didnt know that pupil thing.

Geckomaster743

WOOP WOOP! It first turned in to the Thicker eye and then the small slit snake eye meaning that the eye functions just like the other one. I think its geting better but hes useing a Red light. Im not sure if its bothering him though, He continues to close that one eye though every once in a while. Thanks Amanda for the tips and thanks Maverick as well, Please ask your professer. Its going to be a while before i hit collage but i also wish to pursuit a Role as a vet. Im going to Vet tech in Houston,Tx if possible, You learn to conduct surgery's on tons of Animals and you can choose your role in the Vet industry.

Geckotopia

I know its not the same thing- But I'm a certified Optician, I work in a very prominent Ophthalmology practice..... honestly, after reading everything- sounds like an injury. He ran it into something. The eye heals at a miracle rate... give it time. I would say preservative free re-wetting drops- but I'm not positive in a reptile, I know its great for a dog......I hope this eases you..........

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Keep us updated on how things progress. I hope everything turns out ok. I will see about adding a "Gecko Emergency Room" type subforum

Geckomaster743

I know its not the same thing- But I'm a certified Optician, I work in a very prominent Ophthalmology practice..... honestly, after reading everything- sounds like an injury. He ran it into something. The eye heals at a miracle rate... give it time. I would say preservative free re-wetting drops- but I'm not positive in a reptile, I know its great for a dog......I hope this eases you..........
Thanks for the tip, Neo still keeps the eye closed but i wish i knew whats wrong with it. Maybe he did crash in to some thing... He lives in a glass cage any way. Hopefully it will heal :)

Visit our friends