Coleonyx Questions

eyelids

Bells Rule!
This is pretty much directed at Marcia because she's the only one here that I know keeps them, but feel free to chime in if you can help.

I'm looking into getting some early next year and have a few questions. I want to get 1.2 groups of brevis, mitratus, and variegatus. They'll each be housed seperately in a rack.

Now for the questions...

1.) What size tubs for adults?
2.) Substrate?
3.) When to breed?

Please add anything thing else that will be helpfull. Thanks in advance! :main_thumbsup:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I keep my Coleonyx variegatus bogerti in a naturalistic vivarium with dirt and gravel as a substrate. C. mitratus require more humidity. I house 1.3 in a 10-gal short tank. These geckos will not breed unless cooled, so feed them well until Thanksgiving, then turn off their UTH for about 6 weeks. By New Year's, you can turn the heat back on and in a few days they will be hungry and horny!

Here is one of my set-ups for Bandeds:

Bandedtank1.JPG

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Thanks a lot Marcia! You're set-up looks amazing!

The reason I want to keep them in a rack is because of space issues, but a set-up like your's would be fun to do if I had the room. I didn't realize mitratus was a sub-tropical species, but after more research I realized that. I think I'm going to stick with US species for now. Considering their size, do you think I could keep them in shoe boxes? I don't want to keep groups together because I want to control their breeding.

Some more questions...

Do they tend to poop in the same place like leos?

What types of prey items do you offer them (hatchlings too)?

How do you supplement them?

Thanks again!

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Michael, A pair would probably do just fine in a rack shoe box. As a general rule, they will use a defecatorium like leos, and I feed mine appropriate sized crickets and mealworms that are gut-loaded and dusted with supplememts exactly like my leos.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Sweet! So I can pretty much treat them like mini leos? How many clutches do your females lay? I read to use a 1:1 ratio of water to incubation medium, but that seems awfully wet. What do you think? Sorry for all these questions...

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Yup, you can treat them just like mini-leos! My females lay around 4-6 clutches each season, but I don't have the same high hatch rate as my leos. I incubate at the lower temperatures and use a .8:1 ratio of water to vermiculite as the medium.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Cool! I use the same ratio for my leos, but with perlite. Thanks a bunch for the help! I can't wait to work with these guys!

Visit our friends