confused!?!

BuddyTony

A pet store tells me for breeding i need to buy a 500 dollar incubator and 4-5 female geckos for 1 male? is that true!?!

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Maybe if you want to become a full-time breeder and quit your day job!

I'd start with one happy healthy pair and one basic incubator... Just to see how much work and time it is.

Jetfire

Heck, just make your own incubator.get a 10 gal tank,a brick,a fishtank heater (if you get one rated for 20+ gal, you will have better control over the temp inside),a thermometer, and some plastic wrap.

start by putting the brick dead center in the tank.fill with water to within 1/2" of the tip of the brick.put the submersible heater totally underwater (it's ok to lay it on it's side, don't worry).plug the heater in, cover the tank with the plastic wrap, and leave it alone for a couple hours.go back and check the temp inside the tank, and adjust it as needed until it stays in the range you want.then just put your container of eggs on top of the brick, and reseal the plastic wrap.it's ok to leave a corner open, to vent out excess humidity.
I built one of these, and it worked great until I was able to buy a dedicated incubator.

Jetfire

For some species, you can get away with just putting the egg container on the top of the fridge.just put it by the back edge, where you catch the heat coming off the coils.this method is awesome if you need temps in the mid-80's.cheaper, too

Jetfire

I just had the stuff already.my incubator consists of a gladware tupperware sitting on my closet shelf.gotta love geckos that incubate at room temps!

Visit our friends