Congenital constipation?

Sandra

One of my girls defecates only every once in a while (once a month, more or less). When she does, the feces are huge, decomposed and smelly. It's been like than since I got her, about one year and a half ago.

The vet has tested her feces twice and nothing showed up. She acts naturally, eats like a pig, etc. She doesn't seem disturbed or in pain most of the time. In fact, she's the most extrovert and puppy-like gecko I own. Only when she is about to poop (the day or two days before) she acts timidly which makes me think her stomach is upset.

The vet told us that the reason why the feces are that way is probably because of the constipation... They rot and accumulate inside the organism and that's why they are so nasty when they come out...

Since she is fine most of the time, we don't want the vet to make any intrusive tests. We think it could be caused by a congenit defec such as megacolon.

Has anybody experience with this? We bought her for breeding, but after knowing of this defect we have changed our mind. I don't know, it could be genetic. And the thing that scares me the most is the eggs worsening the constipation, or that the accumulated feces don't let the eggs pass and she ends up eggbound or something. Has anybody had this problem, and tried breeding anyway? I'm curious about how it turned out... If anybody has had a gecko like this one, did you find out what was the problem, did it have any consequence?

Visit our friends