Constipated Gecko

scarlett1784

I have an almost 6 month old male that refuses to eat anything besides crickets. I have tried mealworms, silkworms, phoenix worms and wax worms (he seemed the most interested in these but still wouldn't go for them). As a result of the large amount of chitin in his system, he gets very constipated, sometimes taking as many as 5 days between bowel movement. I tried giving him some fresh mango as I know older AFTs will eat it, but no luck yet. Is there anything that I can do to get him to produce more frequent bowel movements?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I have an almost 6 month old male that refuses to eat anything besides crickets. I have tried mealworms, silkworms, phoenix worms and wax worms (he seemed the most interested in these but still wouldn't go for them). As a result of the large amount of chitin in his system, he gets very constipated, sometimes taking as many as 5 days between bowel movement. I tried giving him some fresh mango as I know older AFTs will eat it, but no luck yet. Is there anything that I can do to get him to produce more frequent bowel movements?

If your fatty eats Crickets, then just feed him what it it wants. I think they do better on Crickets anyways, and I have fed Mealworms and Superworms before and always end back switching to Crickets.

The chitin has nothing to do with him not defecating. It sounds like a temperature problem? What are the temps inside the enclosure?

Hot side? Basking spot? Cool side?

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Alright. I see a few things wrong with your post. Fat-Tail Geckos don't eat mangos, so I won't get into that. As Alex stated, your temps seem to be the issue. What's your set up like? Pics? I feed all my AFTs Lateralis roaches, because I despise crickets, but if your gecko is eating crickets, feed it crickets. If he's constipated soak him in some lukewarm water for a half an hour. Make sure the water isn't so deep he'll drown.

cherishedtiger

My only thoughts on this is what substrate is he on, he could be impacted by ingesting substrate.
Crickets are fine, as my husband and I say variety is the spice of life, but mangos and AFT's dont go together. Crickets, worms, roaches think meat, not fruit.
Ok, thats my 2 cents :)

scarlett1784

I have him on reptile carpet so impaction is not an issue.
I have an under tank heater and keep the ambient temp on the hot side at about 88 and the cool side at around 77. Everything that I have read and everyone I have spoken to says that I have the correct temperature and lighting.
I was told by a reptile vet that older AFT's occasionally eat mango as they can encounter it in their natural habitat.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Your set-up seems fine, unless you're not providing a humid hide. Whoever your vet is, clearly knows nothing about Fat-Tailed Geckos.....

scarlett1784

Yep he has a humidity hide. That makes me nervous, he's a general reptile vet that knows a lot about geckos but not specifically AFTs. He's the only reptile vet for about 40-50 miles. Is there a website or page that you think has really good care info? I have just been hearing so many different things from different sources.

Visit our friends