Cooling Down leos

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Last year most of them cooled themselves by retreating to the cool side and sleeping. SInce I was going to be leaving the country for 10 days and wanted to make things easier on my gecko feeder, I encouraged them. I turned the heat down to somewhere in the 70's and let them alone except for giving them water from mid NOv. till New Year. I had 1 cage of them that didn't seem to want to fast, so I kept them together and fed them. I didn't cool any of the juvies. I produced 60% more leo babies this year than last, but can't definitively say it was from the cooling.

ALiza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I haven't had enough experience to know. I have heard 6 weeks is good and I have no idea if 4 weeks is sufficient or not. I don't even know if it's necessary; I just went with my leos' needs which happened to fit with my own plans. I haven't cooled anyone yet and feed the adults every 3-4 days and most of them are still not hungry even then.

ALiza

roger

No problem.For some reason my 4 females all laid infertile eggs with the exception of one egg that hatched.I bought all of them from a huge breeder here .He told me that i shoud try cooling them down and that he was fairly confident that was the problem.So I'm trying that.

Gregg M

Registered Member
Leopard geckos do not need to be cooled down. Infact it is better to keep them hot and feeding year round... All of my female reptiles are very fertile and give me lots of eggs every season and they are never cooled... Cooling your leos will not solve your problem...

Last edited:

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
Leopard geckos do not need to be cooled down. Infact it is better to keep them hot and feeding year round... All of my female reptiles are very fertile and give me lots of eggs every season and they are never cooled... Cooling your leos will not solve your problem...

I agree, I take the time there off breeding to fatten them up.

Visit our friends