Could Darcy be a he? *Steppe Runners*

Indigo

When I bought my steppe runners I was told they were both female. With Nala it could still be true, but holy jowls on Darcy! The size difference between the two is crazy! Nala looks a very healthy weight but Darcy is all roly poly with jowls bigger than her/his head. Here are some pics:

Nala:

73692_10151236659088533_564765009_n.jpg

63681_10151236658958533_593259855_n.jpg

Aaand Darcy:

531315_10151236668383533_1132355281_n.jpg

409496_10151236658648533_1447558526_n.jpg

So, could "she" be a "he"? Comments and opinions are welcome!

Embrace Calamity

Okay, I don't know anything about steppe runners, but are they supposed to be that fat? A quick Google Search didn't show any that size. Most of them looked like this:

94-1233955172.jpg

Resizeof3eremiasadeserti6-Vadu-Chit.jpg

Steppe-Runner-2.jpg

Eremias_arguta_01.jpg

I could be wrong, but yours look awfully big.

~Maggot

Indigo

lol I whole heartedly agree that Darcy is huge. Nala looks good to me. There isn't a whole lot of information on steppes so my boyfriend and I started feeding them like we fed our leos, let them eat what they want while they're young and growing. But steppes must stop growing faster than leos because I stopped seeing growth in length a while ago and considerable growth in width, in Darcy at least. We've cut back a bit with feeding a while ago. Thanks for your concern.

If you hear or read anything anywhere on how to sex them, let me know! I've only heard about comparing the size of jowls, hence the comparison pics of the two. Thanks!

Sal

I was recently at a local importer to look at termite geckos and saw the steppes, love their look but could not find out any info on their care as far as day and night temps go.

How are you keeping your Steppe Runners?

I am thinking of a pair.

Thanks

Indigo

During the day I have the cool side temps between 78 and 80, and the warm side temps in the 90s with the basking spot at 100. The temps drop naturally at night about 5 degrees at my place. Yeah, there isn't much in the way of information about them out there yet. I wish you the best of luck with them! You'll love them!

njnolan1

I've found quite a bit of information on care but nothing too specific on anything else. I've read they breed well in captivity but not much on how to actually get the process going or egg rearing.. It's been working though for these guys. We have one at work that's about the size of your boy but the jowels don't look quite as big as yours yet. Are you using UVB lighting? Most sites recommend it, but they also sell it so Idk. Being that they do bask in the sun it would probably be helpful I'm sure, but there does seem to be some debate on the NEED factor. I definitely want one of these guys, particularly the boy we have at work. He's so awesome! You can just pick his fat ass up without any struggle. So cute.

Last edited:

DragonGecko

Sorry to dig up an old post, but steppe runners are sexed the same way bearded dragons are :). If you lift up their tail and see two buldges, its male, if theres not buldges, its female :)
Also Steppe Runners are known for over eating :) Thats why there are many who are chunky butts, I have a little shunky one myself!

njnolan1

Sorry to dig up an old post, but steppe runners are sexed the same way bearded dragons are :). If you lift up their tail and see two buldges, its male, if theres not buldges, its female :)
Also Steppe Runners are known for over eating :) Thats why there are many who are chunky butts, I have a little shunky one myself!

We have one at work that's super fat and doesn't like to move much lol. The other one bursts like crazy but this guy will drag his belly if he can lol.

Visit our friends