Could I make a mat for a Leo enclosure out of silicone and round aquarium gravel?

Futureboundexe

So I’m trying to find safe substrates for leopard geckos but there’s nothing that I’ve seen purely good reviews about besides paper towel and even then some sources say the gecko might eat it, and it’s ugly. I’d like to err on the side of caution and not use anything they can ingest, I know gravel is unsafe because they can ingest it and get impacted, and I know 100% silicone is aquarium and terrarium safe, so I was thinking if I put down some silicone on baking sheets or something and put the aquarium rocks on top of it like a mat in the dimensions of the tank, would that be safe? It seems so but I want outside opinions. Would the silicone be able to stand the heat mat under the tank?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You'd have to check the specs for silicone and heat, but since I think they make baking mats out of it, it's probably OK. In my opinion, it's much easier to use ceramic tile. Some people feel that the tile is too hard for them and uncomfortable. I use ceramic tile and also have humid hides that contain coco fiber. I don't find my geckos exclusively hanging out in the humid hides (which I imagine they would do if the ceramic floor were too uncomfortable, though they do use the hides on occasion.

Aliza

Futureboundexe

You'd have to check the specs for silicone and heat, but since I think they make baking mats out of it, it's probably OK. In my opinion, it's much easier to use ceramic tile. Some people feel that the tile is too hard for them and uncomfortable. I use ceramic tile and also have humid hides that contain coco fiber. I don't find my geckos exclusively hanging out in the humid hides (which I imagine they would do if the ceramic floor were too uncomfortable, though they do use the hides on occasion.

Aliza
I already have aquarium gravel and silicone so it’d be easier for me. Also the terrarium I have has rounded corners so square tile wouldn’t work all the way

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As long as you can be pretty sure that the aquarium gravel won't get loose because a gecko could easily ingest a piece of aquarium gravel and it could be distressing to the digestive system. Another idea may be to check out Zoomed excavator clay which you could possibly affix to the silicon and which won't generate loose pieces.

Aliza

Futureboundexe

As long as you can be pretty sure that the aquarium gravel won't get loose because a gecko could easily ingest a piece of aquarium gravel and it could be distressing to the digestive system. Another idea may be to check out Zoomed excavator clay which you could possibly affix to the silicon and which won't generate loose pieces.

Aliza
The aquarium gravel I’d be using is about the size of a geckos head, not the small stuff but like river stones. All about an inch in diameter.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
That sounds good. The only other thing to consider is whether there will be any issues with crickets hiding/dying among the stones, but it should be OK. I'd love to see a picture when it's done.

Aliza

Visit our friends