Could I survey some breeders on supplementation, please?

Knibitz

Pet Owner
Could I survey some breeders? Looking for just 5 more people! PLEASE!

Thank you SO MUCH! to the 5 of you who've sent in surveys to me! I cannot thank you enough!

However, I feel comfortable having a 10person sample, so I would REALLY appreciate it if 5 more people could submit the survey!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm looking for as many breeders as I can that I can give a quick short survey to regarding supplementation.
I'm currently a college senior in a chem 101 class this semester (heck yes - waiting till last minute to get in general ed XD)

I'm doing a quick 3 page report on leopard gecko supplementation since it's really something that's up in the air with us and there isn't much out there except random opinions. I just want to gather some information from actual breeders that I could use as sources, and then chart them.

Keep in mind, whatever words you leave with me, you give me the right to reprint in a report. This will not be a published work, but you run the possibility of being quoted in a graded paper, as well as a presentation (I also have to give a 5 minute power point...yeah... 5 minutes "hi, these are leopard geckos. they eat calcium... ok bye")

NONE of the comments or research collected here will be recorded as TRUTH, only opinions of reptile breeders at various levels of knowledge and experience.

So here's the rundown of my questions!
if you'd like to remain anonymous to the board and PM me your answers, That'd be fine!

PLEASE: if you can, include your reasoning with each answer :)

1) Do you keep a dish or dishes of supplements in your enclosure? if so, what supplement?

2) How often do you use Calcium w/ D3?

3) How often do you provide a multivitamin?

4) what brands of supplements are you using (please list)

5) Do you dust your feeders? if so, what is the usual feeder you dust?

6) How educated do you think you are on the effects of the supplements (general, beneficial, harming) you offer your leopard geckos?

7) Do you change supplementation as your geckos age?

*tacks random one on the end >_<*
8) What condition water do you provide? (distilled, tap, dechlorinated, treated with *insert whatever here*, etc)

9) Any further comments you'd like to make?

~~
more generic questions:
1) how long have you been breeding reptiles?

2) how long have you been breeding leopard geckos?

3) how many Leopard Geckos are you usually housing?

4) do you have any educational degrees or certificates that relate to your breeding efforts?

Last edited:

GothicGurrrl

I'm not a breeder lol but I think your choice to talk about this topic is cool. You've also encouraged me to ask a forum about a topic I have to do for a presentation in my lesson 'exotics management'. Good luck with your presentation!! you will do fine, My presentation has to be 8 mins long, but it's ended up being 12 mins :O lol

SFgeckos

I would recommend you search for some primary literature- there are several scientific papers discussing reptile supplementation (calcium and vitamins) on a variety of species ranging from bearded dragons to tortoises. Good luck with your presentation it sounds great!

Jon

Knibitz

Pet Owner
I would recommend you search for some primary literature- there are several scientific papers discussing reptile supplementation (calcium and vitamins) on a variety of species ranging from bearded dragons to tortoises. Good luck with your presentation it sounds great!

Jon

:B I want research from actual breeders, doing it from just science experiments would void the whole point of the project.

What is ACTUALLY being used by people.

This isn't an experiment kind of thing, it's just a report.

and I have been getting on contact with a few Vets and Vet Techs to get information on the effects up supplements.
This is merely a research survey, of the community of breeders.

Last edited:

SFgeckos

":B I want research from actual breeders, doing it from just science experiments would void the whole point of the project.

This isn't an experiment kind of thing, it's just a report."

Got it! I just thought it would be interesting in your discussion section to compare your results/findings in the hobby verses scientific literature experiments?

Jon

Knibitz

Pet Owner
":B I want research from actual breeders, doing it from just science experiments would void the whole point of the project.

This isn't an experiment kind of thing, it's just a report."

Got it! I just thought it would be interesting in your discussion section to compare your results/findings in the hobby verses scientific literature experiments?

Jon

do you know where I could locate any good literature?
I've searched every database I have access to through my school, and all I could find were a few articles about lesbian geckos XD (yeah... I don't get it)

Visit our friends