Crested gecko doesn't poop very often

Cheryl Frain

I've had my crestie for about 4 months and he/she is about 7 months old and weighs 12g. Ever since I've had him , he doesn't poop very much. I feed him Repashy and he usually eats from it the second night it's out. Once every week or 2 he gets a cricket. This last week I gave him his first 2 wax worms which had dissappeared by the morning. The heat is always in the low to mid 70's this time of year. I mist at night which brings humidity up to the 80's and let it dry out during the day. I use paper towel and fake plants. I'd expect to see poop the day after he eats but there never has been very much since I got him. He's growing , active and eating. Is this something to be concerned about? My son's crestie poops ALOT more in comparison.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
How much is not often? Are you sure he's not just going behind a plant and you're missing it? Even if he's only going a couple times a week, as long as he's still going you know he doesn't have an impaction, so he's probably fine.

I freaked out about this exact thing when I got my first crestie, and a friend told me to gently rub his belly. He did poop, but I'm not sure if it worked or not, since he did always prefer to poop while I was holding him. He's a classy little guy.

Cheryl Frain

I have only seen one poop since I last cleaned the tank about 2 weeks ago. I looked hard everywhere but still could have missed some. I did give him a bath last night. I was very careful and did alot of research first. I also put a very small shallow dish of water by his food dish just in case. This morning I was rewarded with a big poop YAY!!!!! It's funny how worried we can be about young cresties especially. I feel like I have another new baby.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Congrats on the poop, lol. :p I know what you mean about worrying; I was terrible when I got my first little guy, but have calmed down a bit over the years as I've learned more and gained more experience.

Visit our friends