Crested Gecko Housing

FutbolGecko

Hello! Im new to these forums,mainly my question is,can ONE adult crested gecko live in a exo-terra 12x12x18 enclosure? Or I want to get peoples experiences or opinions if you have successfully housed one in this size tank.Thanks!

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
Yes they can however IMO it is still a bit small as it is only 11 gallons worth of space, I personally keep my adults in 15 gallons or lager. If you want a good buy for the size. I use several of these that I am going to link you, Matt used to sell them not in the kit but only has them in the kit now, which is still a good price
http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/complete-crested-gecko-terrarium-set-up.html

The only downfall is they let out a bit more humidity but they are equal to 18 gallons. But I honestly keep a wide variety of enclosures, I have normal aquariums, those acrylic zillas, tubs, and exoterra.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
The Zillas are easy to modify to keep in more humidity. I cut a peice of plexiglass to size and use magnets to hold it to the front bottom screen panel. Works like a charm :)

FutbolGecko

Thanks Mellisa and Tara!I saw the Zilla tank, and it looks nice. But when it comes to space,I do have space but I mean it in a way where I can have a tank in a bathroom or in the living room,but in my room,I have room for 2 exo terras 12x12x18,right above my rack. And I know the bigger the better but have any of you successfully housed an adult in one?I ask because I want to have the 2 exo terras,and each will house one adult,One male and One female,that way I dont get any accidental breeding.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
If youre limited on space then you need to consider what is best for the animals not what is best for your situation.

The bathroom isnt a good place to keep them, yes the thought the humidity is nice, but there is a giant flux of temps in the bathroom which makes it not the ideal place to house such a temp sensitive species.

Like I said you can do it, however IMO it is too small, I personally use them as older juvie tanks as around 25g the tank is starting to get a bit small for them to be in. The zillas are only 6" longer than the exos.There is another cage to consider but would need to be modified also as it is mostly screen and it is this
http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arboreal-reptile-cage.html
That is only 3" longer and wider. The nice thing is both of these cages are super light so if there is some over hang (which I have one that does), so long as nothing heavy is on that side it isnt an issue. Both of these are stackable so if you have a location in the living room where they could be stacked one on top of each other that will work (I do this also).

But if youre looking to get 2 geckos, why not get 2 females and house them in a single 24 x 24 x 24? You can often find pet quality animals at shows for around $60-100.

FutbolGecko

Oh, I wasn't being serious about the bathroom, more of a joke orjust an example that I do have space in that room,but in my room I would only have the space for the exo terras. Yes, i have thought about what was best for the reptile,just I'd thought I'd get some successful experiences housing them in these cages,but i guess not. I do however like the zillas,and they are cheaper. I might get them probably when an expo comes by. Thanks.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
If you're worries about them tipping, try placing a piece of wood on top of the shelf that runs the length of the two sills for added support. You will want to put newspaper or something to block the view so they don't see one another, it tends to stress the males out actually. And the bonus to them being cheaper, you have more money to spend on the animals themselves and also decor

Visit our friends