Crested Geckos and more!

jfreemo75

3 Year Member
Hi! We just started breeding crested geckos this year, but it is sure taking off! We've had 23 babies and have 6 eggs to go for this season. We sold our first little guy this past weekend. It was sad to see him go, but that's to be expected for a breeder. I would love to keep all of them! I am no expert, yet, but if anyone has any questions about breeding, feel free to ask. If I don't have an answer for you, I will make sure I can get it.
We are also working with uroplatus sikorae, but they are a bit more tricky to get going. Calcium is the issue for the females. If they don't have enough calcium in their diet, they won't produce eggs. The incubation for the eggs is really precise, and we haven't gotten it 100% yet. We've had quite a few eggs, but only 5 have hatched so far, and 4 have survived. They are not as hardy as crested when they are born and require alot of humidity, which can be difficult to obtain here in Illinois in the coller months. We are working on it though!
The last group we are working with right now are leopard geckos. This came about by accident though. My daughters each got a baby leopard gecko at the end of last year. We were told they were both temperature sexed (incubated at a certain temp to get either male or female), but one of them turned out to be a male, and by the time we realized it, it was a little too late. Oops! We had eggs in the cage! We first thought that they were both just laying duds (before we realized they were a male and female) and we threw them away. After we figured it out, we saved the eggs, and now have 3 babies and 2 more eggs.
Next year we will hope to get eggs from our cave gecko pair. Fingers crossed for a good season!

I understand what you are sayin man and I totally agree and also I'm here to answer anyone's questions also on geckos or I will find it also but anyways thanks for sharing man :)

geckogoldie

3 Year Member
Do you know how to sex them because soon I am going to get to paired up crested geckos so I really would like to know if I should expect eggs or not

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Do you know how to sex them because soon I am going to get to paired up crested geckos so I really would like to know if I should expect eggs or not

This site has a pretty detailed description on how to sex crested geckos:
http://www.forums.repashy.com/rhacodactylus-ciliatus-discussion/10832-sexing-crested-geckos-how.html

It's a little tricky to find the pores, especially in young geckos. You'll need a good magnifying glass or a jeweler's loupe to be able to see them, It gets easier to see the pores the larger the gecko is, but I've heard that most people can tell when the gecko is above 5 grams. I am not one of those people. :D

jfreemo75

3 Year Member

Amanda is right. It is really difficult to sex them when they are smaller, and even if you can, and they don't have pores, they could be a late bloomer. I use a loupe, which I actually bought from a reptile show, but you can find them online for pretty cheap.

Are you wanting them to breed? I always keep my young ones seperate until I actually am 100% on the sexes. 2 males together can be really bad, 2 females works out just fine. Depending on where you are getting the geckos, if you can get the seller to guarantee the sexes, and one turns out the opposite, they will replace it for another one. If you are getting them at a pet store, it's pretty much 50/50 what you will get.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Visit our friends