Crested Geckos Struggling to Climb Mesh Enclosures

peachesntang

I currently own two crested geckos; one male who inhabits an 18''x18''x36'' enclosure, and a female who inhabits a 16''x16''x28'' enclosure. One important feature about these two enclosures is that, unlike many of the crested gecko enclosures I have seen for sale online and in stores, their walls are made of mesh instead of glass. (Please see the attached photo for reference.)

Recently, I have been observing my geckos attempting to climb their enclosures, but they appear to be having a difficult time of it. They seem to "stagger" up the walls a bit, sliding down from time to time. A few times they have actually fallen, so I have begun to worry about them hurting themselves. I was wondering if the problem might lie in the material of the cage walls? It seems to me that the "sticky pads" of crested geckos might not be suited best to mesh and might function better with glass walls. I was also wondering if, perhaps, the problem could be with the sticky pads themselves? Perhaps there is some dead skin from previous sheds "blocking" some of the stick? Interested to see if anyone has thought on this.

Attachments

• mesh enclosure.jpg
    mesh enclosure.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In my opinion the biggest issue is that mesh cages don't allow for the proper humidity level. Otherwise, I've seen my cresties on the screen door of their cages and there hasn't been any problem. It could be shed, or possibly the environment is too dry.

Aliza

Visit our friends