crestie substrate

sas

Hi!
I am preparing my cresties cage before I get one. But I'm not sure of the substrate as there are many conflicting views. I have had a gecko suffer from impaction before, so it is a concern. I'm fine using paper towels but then again it will b difficult to keep humidity as I cannot spray the cage a lot of times everyday. If you could tell me if there is a safe substrate besides paper towel that will keep humidity please let me know!

sas

Yer it's just hard to decide because everyone says different things and reptile stores all just try to get you to buy their stuff. Wondering what crestie breeders do?

marauderhex

I keep all five of my cresties on paper towels. I actually only need to mist every other day, but mine live in 16" cubes with plastic on all sides and a plexiglass front opening, so I don't lose humidity as fast as a terrarium.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I use coconut fibre, and feed crested gecko diet. They dont chase crickets and eat substrate this way :)

ReptileWorld

I have 2 breeding pairs of crested geckos in 2 seperate tanks. I too wondered what would be best. I now have 3 gecko set ups. 1 I have my breeding pair on cocofiber mixed with a little spag and verminculite. Then i packed the substrate down very tightly. This way it holds humidity well along with with great for eggs and I can see where they dig. IT holds humidity so well I have missed eggs and found 4 babies in the past few months. The 2nd breeding enclosure has a news paper bottom with a butter tub filled half way with the same soil mix stated before with a hole cut in the lid so they can get in and out. I actually wet it considerably in the winter because it will dry to that perfect consistency within a few days since the air is dry. I mist once to twice a day with no water dish in the enclosure and they seem to do just fine because they breed like rabbits. It also makes my life easier not having to go through the entire set up hunting for eggs when i can just pull the tub out and run my finger through it. The 3rd set up is a hatchling rearing enclosure. Since I fear they may eat some soil I have this heavier type of cactus soil which is a bit harder and drys a bit faster then the tropical type soils I crush a bit up and mix it with the coco fiber and it becomes almost clay like when wet. It looses up when misted but hardens quickly after drying and they seem to love it. I like substrate that dubia cant really burrow into easily. out of all 3 substrates they all work great. never any impaction in the few years using this method. hope this helps. :main_thumbsup::main_thumbsup:

Dimidiata

Just watch and make sure your gecko isnt eating it :p ive read a few reports that some peoples geckos decide to eat their moss/fiber lol. Not a smart gecko.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The reason there are what seem to be conflicting views is because there's more than one way to do things. I've heard of a lot of things working. I use coco fiber because I prefer planted tanks which I never have to clean out.

Aliza

sas

Thanx everyone for your help! I decided paper towel on the bottom of the tank and i have a humide hide- a tupperware with a hole on top - with sphagnum moss inside. Just 5 more days till I get one! Can't wait!

ReptileWorld

I suggest not using just strictly moss make it a soil base and pack it down very tightly. they wont eat the soil in the box because they wont be hunting in it. and you can top it with some spag for good measure. I always fear spag moss holds moisture all too well.

Visit our friends