Cresties and Underground hides

F

FoHGoR

Hello Again,
I was thinking about how I wanted to setup my tank and I started pondering the matter of temperature control. The room that the tank will be in can get into the 60's during the winter and 90's during the summer. I've got an under the tank heater to warm the tank up when it gets cold, but the room doesn't have any A/C for when it gets hot. So, what I'm thinking of trying is lining one of those Glad throwaway, Tupperware like containers with moistened moss and burying it under some moist substrate. This way the gecko(s) will have somewhere to go to cool off. If any of you have had a basement you'll know that the temperature drops by many degrees as you go down the stairs, so I figured it would work for a terrarium as well.

So what do you guys think? Will the geckos take advantage of this architectural masterpiece, or will they look at me like I'm a moron?

Thanks in advance,
Kris

I'm sure most of you get the idea, but I thought I would waste 20 minutes playing in ms paint to show you what I'm mean:

gecko.jpg

gixxer3420

Looks cool and seems like a good idea but. Do you plan on breeding them? If so That looks like a pretty good place for the females to lay and it will be a pain having to dig it up looking to see if they laid yet or to collect the eggs. I don't work with cresties so I'm sure others can give you better advise than I just did.

Rhacodactyl

If it's in the 90's, I don't think that'll allow them to cool off enough. Ideally cresteds shouldn't be subjected to temperatures above 80 and I've heard of several cases where they had heat stroke and died at 85 or above. If I were you, I'd start seriously looking into ways to cool that room because I doubt you can keep cresteds alive in 90 degree heat.

Visit our friends