croc skinks!!

GeffGecko

GeckoKid
Just wanted to do an update on my Triblonotus gracilis breeding project. I currently have 6 croc skinks 3 males and 3 females. I have been able to breed this unique species once before. They lay about one egg at a time every 4 months or so mothers will take care of young. I don't have my first breaded pair anymore but I found a pretty good captive breeder who has helped me get started. Not much is known about croc skinks but they have been in the trade since 1994. They need anywhere from 60%to100% humidity a lot of damp swamp like hide outs. Two can do fine in a 20gal I use 106qt tubs(clear view) that work great for croc skinks. You can have a water dish deep enough for their whole body to fit in. I use a 16qt tub as a pond with a small filter. They really like to swim and climb. So I would recommend getting a bigger tub so they can actually swim around. They don't need special light temp needs to be 72 to 88 with 80 being perfect. A little uvb is fine as well. Even though they like to stay damp you still need to have a dry hide to give options. Its recommended to keep in male/female pairs. Two males will fight to the death and even female housed together will often fight. They make a dog like sound when scared and like to play dead. Just some general information about croc skinks.

IMG_1657.jpg

Dry hide(substrate needs to be 3 to 4 inches deep they burrow)
IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

I use 3 different types of substrate (moss,coco fiber,cypress mulch)
IMG_1656.jpg

Young male
IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

setup2
IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Male
IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

GeffGecko

GeckoKid
Thanks their great to work with and they live in families with the babies,mom and dad. I choose to breed them along with my leopard geckos because like leo's croc skinks only get 4-6inches.

DoubleZ

Crocs are such cool little guys. A local pet store had one that would just chill out on your shirt.

GeffGecko

GeckoKid
Thanks I have heard of people keeping them with other species even tree frogs.

Emilylovesherps-good luck with your project Im hope to do the same.

I just wanted to do a post on some of my other animals that have been taking a back seat for the last two weeks because of the croc skink project.

Bearded Dragon x SandFire-male
IMG_1241.jpg

Pie trans Veiled Chameleon-male
IMG_1210.jpg

Odontodactylus havanensis(Mantis Shrimp) sex unknown
IMG_0104.jpg

A 8 inch Peacock Mantis Shrimp has the same power as a small 22cal hand gun. I have a smaller species that preys on small crabs and snails.
IMG_0031.jpg

Red eye tree frog
IMG_1486.jpg

croc skink this mourning
IMG_1700.jpg

Leo's females for sun glow project
Tremper Sun Glow Het Raptor,Super Hypo Tan Het Raptor,Super Hypo Tan
IMG_1348.jpg

James G

I just got a wc female last week...she hasn't eaten yet, kind of worried about that. Her enclosure is similar to yours, and I regulate the humidity. I want to get her a partner, but I'm waiting for the next herp expo to come around in july. Any advice?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

GeffGecko

GeckoKid
Nice I am actually looking for 2 females myself. The last two expos I went to did not have any so I ordered off line. I have one male/female pair but need two females for my other two males I just got this week. With my new males I waited one day and tried to feed them last night they both ate two crickets and a bunch of worms. I would not say one week is worry time yet but another week maybe. Have you tried feeding her outside her enclosure? Most times I don't have problems feeding these guys. The first day I tried to feed them I realized they did not see the food. They hunt like leo's.

James G

Cool, she isn't very active and shes a bit skittish, but she did eat yesterday :) what online vendor do you purchase your s from?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

GeffGecko

GeckoKid
I sent you a private message about the vendor. Glad to hear she ate. All my crocs happen not care at all about being handled. They don't even blink an eye when I go to pick them up.

byglady

We have a pair of Crocodile Skinks, they are currently sitting with 2 eggs.

Hope they will be hatching soon, will post pictures when they hatch

Visit our friends