Culling Leopard Geckos

Geckomaster743

I have recently learned about Culling and i have Decided to never do it, I know a lot of you breed here so give me some Feed back. I really love my Leopard Geckos and i just can't Kill them it dosent feel right. So what do you all do? I willing to give them the time to Nurse them back to health and Keep them in a Separate Area where they can Enjoy there happy Lives :)

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Culling doesn't always mean killing. You can simply choose not to breed an adult animal, and that is culling it from your breeding program. I have a few that are pets first and only.

But for a sickly or malformed hatchlings, you do have to make a choice. You have to consider the quality of the life they are going to lead, and how much expense you're willing to undergo. Its a very personal choice: one that I've yet to have to consider. But I'd never want to let an animal suffer.

Geckomaster743

Your Really good at Calming me down with this Leopard Gecko Killing thing :3 I just can't sit still when i Imagine my self killing a Leo because it wasn't good enough for my Gene Pool or had some problem that i could help it overcome.

Charlie

As above said it doesn't always mean to kill that animal. You can simple reduce numbers by not breeding that animal, killing that species or moving some of that species to different areas (ovbi some of the above answers arent possible with captive leopard geckos)

With breeding there is a low chance (as long as your female and male is healthy, correct age and weight) that you might have some offspring that come out with problems and "wonky bones", could develop MBD or problems such as Enigma syndrome. You gotta make a choice (depending on how bad that leo is) Weather its better off being put to sleep or kept alive. And being a breeder I usually do the following. Sell the healthy ones once they reach the correct weight and age to sell them. And the ones (havent had any of my own yet) which have issues keep them as long as they need to, get them eating and back up to the best health they can and sell them on (for a small price) to a very good home that knows what they doing. But if it was better of being put to sleep, that would be the choice I would have to make x

Geckomaster743

As above said it doesn't always mean to kill that animal. You can simple reduce numbers by not breeding that animal, killing that species or moving some of that species to different areas (ovbi some of the above answers arent possible with captive leopard geckos)

With breeding there is a low chance (as long as your female and male is healthy, correct age and weight) that you might have some offspring that come out with problems and "wonky bones", could develop MBD or problems such as Enigma syndrome. You gotta make a choice (depending on how bad that leo is) Weather its better off being put to sleep or kept alive. And being a breeder I usually do the following. Sell the healthy ones once they reach the correct weight and age to sell them. And the ones (havent had any of my own yet) which have issues keep them as long as they need to, get them eating and back up to the best health they can and sell them on (for a small price) to a very good home that knows what they doing. But if it was better of being put to sleep, that would be the choice I would have to make x
I agree but I'm just so obsessed with how the Gecko dies and then i Imagine what if that were me... I would LOVE a chance and beg to try and get better. I under stand some circumstances but....... I hate the idea. ( Maybe I'm just to sensitive but I hate to hurt or kill any thing )

Apocalypse910

3 Year Member
I imagine that there is a different decision making process if you are a large scale breeder. At a certain number of animals I'm guessing it becomes impossible to personally care for every sick, or unsellable hatchling which is why some breeders make the decision to cull animals that can't be bred. Not saying it is right, just that it is likely a reality of larger scale breeding. Personally I think that by breeding reptiles you have a responsibility to the animals. Reptiles with any defects shouldn't be bred - but should be cared for, or adopted out if at all possible.

That being said I think there are times when euthanizing an animal is the right decision. There are some hatchlings that can't be saved and there is no reason to make them suffer unnecessarily. It is really hard to make that call sometimes though. With my first set of eggs the first hatchling had no eyelids and several other deformities. I did everything in my power to keep him alive but he died after about a month. I still feel like I made the wrong call and made him suffer just because I couldn't bring myself to put him down. At the same time I though the second gecko in the clutch was worse off - and he completely surprised me and is still going strong.

Basically I think that you should put the animal first when making these decisions. If you are putting an animal down to avoid the care and expense in keeping it alive you are making the wrong call. If a creature is suffering and it has no chance of recovery I think it is important to put your feelings aside and do what is right for the animal.

Geckomaster743

I imagine that there is a different decision making process if you are a large scale breeder. At a certain number of animals I'm guessing it becomes impossible to personally care for every sick, or unsellable hatchling which is why some breeders make the decision to cull animals that can't be bred. Not saying it is right, just that it is likely a reality of larger scale breeding. Personally I think that by breeding reptiles you have a responsibility to the animals. Reptiles with any defects shouldn't be bred - but should be cared for, or adopted out if at all possible.

That being said I think there are times when euthanizing an animal is the right decision. There are some hatchlings that can't be saved and there is no reason to make them suffer unnecessarily. It is really hard to make that call sometimes though. With my first set of eggs the first hatchling had no eyelids and several other deformities. I did everything in my power to keep him alive but he died after about a month. I still feel like I made the wrong call and made him suffer just because I couldn't bring myself to put him down. At the same time I though the second gecko in the clutch was worse off - and he completely surprised me and is still going strong.

Basically I think that you should put the animal first when making these decisions. If you are putting an animal down to avoid the care and expense in keeping it alive you are making the wrong call. If a creature is suffering and it has no chance of recovery I think it is important to put your feelings aside and do what is right for the animal.
I agree with you when the Animals in pain and well they are dying slowly no doubt i would try to put them down but some where in my Heart i would feel shameful for ever. Its not exactly like I'm so sensitive but when your around other leopard geckos you get to like them a lot and killing a Hatchling makes me feel like I'm killing some that i already have.. I just never want a Bad hatchling. I just get so Upset about it because the Big breeders do Kill them for ( Saving Money - They Don't want the Morph - Not good Enough Gene Pool ). I just don't like how they see no Value in a life and they are consumed by Profit. I guess I'm Just really mad about Desensitized people.....

Visit our friends